Is there anyway I can increase the top speed of my electric ceiling fan?

My electric ceiling fan has a built-in, 3-speed regulator and it is still in good working condition. I have recently noticed that the top speed is not so fast as it used to be. Please advise me whether I could replace the existing regulator with a higher power capacitor in order to increase the speed.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Certainly if you have the skills the one answer suggests replacing parts.

With no offense meant at all, I'd personally replace the unit.

• 1 decade ago

If the fan worked properly before, it might be that the capacitor/capacitors need replacing.

First, make sure that there isn't a mechanical problem e.g. poor lubrication, buildup of dust, dirt etc. by turning the blades by hand (make sure power is off first)

If you have to replace a capacitor, use the same value that is in the unit as the motor was designed to work with specific values.

Just a note, I have replaced capacitors on a couple of these fans (split capacitor motors.) They are usually dual units for the speed control. What sometimes happens is the fan is reversed while it is running and the capacitor fails. You can tell because the case cracks.

• 1 decade ago

Ceiling fans draw very low current I have never seen a capacitor start motor used on a ceiling fan. Slowing down can be low voltage,bad connection causing same or mechanical drag caused by lubrication failure. Motor replacement on a ceiling fan =replacement cost why bother.

• 1 decade ago

As a couple of others suggested : replace the fan with a new one.

Source(s): I'm a real electrician
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Better call Fan maker, Rather than making you budy.... bcoz if you mess it up. Then you will not able to keep wind or fan.

have a nice day

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Check your line voltage...and watch it. It might just be in your head. Are you in an area with a lot of construction in the past year? I'm thinking a big voltage drop......is the bigger reason.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.