What's the proper way to write your name, once you have been divorced: "Mrs. Jane Doe-Smith, Mrs. Jane Doe?

Can you still refer to yourself as Mrs?

Favorite Answer

It would be Ms.

Source(s): U.K

You will still be Mrs. This NEVER chnages.

I consulted a professional Etiquette professional at the time of my wedding, and this was one of the questions I posed for writing out my wedding invites to those who were divorced. It would be Mrs. Beth Davies instead of Mrs. John Davies (that is if I was divroced from someone named John Davies).

This is etiquette... but many people incorrectly use these salutations - Miss is a child (under age 18). Ms. is a female never been married. And once Married, you will always be Mrs.

Drop tne Mrs, Ms, or Miss and just call yourself Jane Doe. All this demeaning Victorian miss priss proper crap has got to go. I mean, really. It's so prehistoric. I have actually seen some of these old ladies that refuse to call themselves by their first name, like it's some kind of sin. It's always "Mrs John Doe". Never Jane Doe. It's quite repulsive, actually. It's as if they completely lost their identity when they got married and now it's always a scramble no matter what their marital status. You were given a name at birth. It was NOT prefaced by Mrs, Miss, or Ms.

I would think you sign it as it still is legally. If you change it back to your maiden name then sign it as such. If your single it would be Miss....Mrs is indication of being married....I'm guessing on all of this but it certain is logical to me.Change your name and it will end all the guessing:o) Ms btw doesnt indicate married or not. So that would be a safe way of signing.

You can,but I just started using my first name-maiden name hyphenated with my married name. I also started announcing myself as just the maiden name. The law says if you want to go back to that,you're entitled to. Changing can be expensive and if you have children still in school,it can get confusing. The full name on my license is Cynthia Yvonne Colescott Mc Goldrick. It's a mouthful-but it gives me lots of choices.

Ms. Free-at-last