what is the average hourly wage of a UAW auto worker?

Favorite Answer

According to the Indianapolis Star:

Base wages average about $28 an hour. GM officials say the average reaches $39.68 an hour, including base pay, cost-of-living adjustments, night-shift premiums, overtime, holiday and vacation pay. Health-care, pension and other benefits average another $33.58 an hour, GM says. - September 26, 2007 UNITED AUTO WORKERS OFF THE JOB, Striking back at globalization. By Ted Evanoff

According to the National Review:

Massive job cuts at General Motors, America's largest carmaker — coupled with the bankruptcy of Delphi, America's biggest autoparts maker — have provoked predictable handwringing from liberal pundits who worry that America is "losing its manufacturing base." But the wrenching change now buffeting the auto industry defies the usual press formulas. Just listen to Steve Miller a turnaround specialist who is steering Delphi's restructuring process. He exploded the myth of America's "endangered" union manufacturing jobs at his October press conference announcing Delphi's move into Chapter 11: "We cannot continue to pay $65 an hour for someone to cut the grass and remain competitive."

Take grass cutting. As defined by the current United Auto Worker contract negotiated with the "Big Five" (GM, Ford, Chrysler, and top parts makers Delphi and Visteon), an auto "production worker" is a job description that covers anything from mowing grass to cleaning the toilets. In the real world, these jobs would be outsourced to $8 an hour, no-benefit wage earners, but on Planet Big Five, these jobs get the same wages as any auto line-worker: an average $26 an hour ($60,000 a year) plus benefits that bring the company's total cost per worker to a staggering $65 an hour.

But at least the grass cutters are working for their pay. The UAW contract also guarantees that 12,000 autoworkers get full wage for doing nothing. On the heels of Miller's straight-talk, the Detroit News reported that "12,000 American autoworkers, instead of bending sheet metal, spend their days counting the hours in a jobs bank." These aren't jobs. And they certainly aren't being "lost" to China.

"We just go in (to Ford's Michigan Truck Plant) and play crossword puzzles, watch videos that someone brings in or read the newspaper," The News quoted one UAW worker as saying. "Otherwise, I've just sat."

The coming months will be painful for many American autoworkers. Accustomed to a certain lifestyle, they will see their wages cut in half, jeopardizing second homes, college tuitions, and car payments. One blue-collar Delphi worker interviewed by the Detroit News makes $103,000 a year operating a forklift and fears the consequences if his pay is drastically reduced. But many Americans will ask how a forklift operator felt entitled to a six-figure income in the first place (according to Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average forklift operator wage in the U.S. is $26,000).

It is an opportune time for political leadership to step to the plate and speak with candor, but the signs are not encouraging.

- November 29, 2005, Labor Pains, Detroit needs to play by market rules. By Henry Payne

Source(s): The Indianapolis Star and the National Review

Im sure Toyota workers make time and 1/2 for hours worked over forty hours as well. If you are going to compare, lets compare apples to apples. I work at GM and I have never met anyone who makes $39 per hour. We make about the same hourly wage as the Toyota workers. I started out at $15 per hour in 1999. $28 now with Blue Cross insurance. Im sick of these posts where no one has there facts straight. GM has carried this country through two World Wars, producing the tanks, jeeps and planes needed to help us win. Now the republicans want to drive blue collar wages down to third world standards.

Building over-priced crap since 1974. No wonder Japan has taken over the market. My brand new Dodge Ram had 4 recalls in the first year. My buddies Chevy Silverado has had 3 transmissions so he sold the truck. Now I buy Toyota and never have a problem.

• Eric2 months agoReport

Chevy trans made in Japan and Mexico.

• berks

Forklift Pay

I work at Chrysler and we make the same as Toyota and Honda workers in the US,around $28.00 per hour.Jon H is wrong,I have never had a job where I could work like that.Once again people spout off and don't know what the hell they are talking about.Pat F quit believing everything you read,grass cutting and janitorial are outsourced jobs where I work and I believe at most all auto plants.They may have got that out of a contract book from 10 years ago.Once again people spouting off and don't know what they are talking about.But I will tell you what,I'm gone to take the $35000 buyout and you whinners can have my job.

• Bill6 years agoReport

Please leave your $28 an hr job. There are real workers waiting for an opputrtunity. 1/8 of the country is out of work and your bitching about $30 an hr. GET OVER YOURSELF. So PLEASE leave this high paying, low skill job.

25-35 dollars a hour.

Far to much for GM or Ford to be competitive.

Both of these companies have become HMOs that also make cars.