Is marijuana an opiate drug?

Does it work through artificial opiates (similar to the body's natural endorphins), or does it affect people through some other way?

I know that heroin and morphine are artificial opiates, and although they are much more damaging than marijuana, do they work the same way?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

No, it is not an opiate

• 1 decade ago

No, it's is not an opiate. Opiates all derive from the Poppy Plant. Marijuana is another plant entirely.

The drugs do not produce the same effects either.

The body also does not become addicted to marijuana as it does with opiates (no withdrawals and you can stop when you want)

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Is marijuana an opiate drug?

Does it work through artificial opiates (similar to the body's natural endorphins), or does it affect people through some other way?

I know that heroin and morphine are artificial opiates, and although they are much more damaging than marijuana, do they work the same way?

Source(s): marijuana opiate drug: https://shortly.im/67e3i
  • 1 decade ago

No. Even though Sgt. Joe Friday and other hard-drinkin', hard-smokin' (tobacco, that is) drug warriors commonly refer to pot as a narcotic, it definitely isn't an opiate. It's not derived from the poppy and is in a different pharmaceutical class entirely.

Actually, the cannabinoids in marijuana are in their own separate category. That's because herb has both a tranquilizing and a mildly psychedelic effect. Also, most hard drugs like alcohol, heroin, and cocaine affect the dopamine transmitters--which is why they're so very addicting. Pot, on the other hand, affects the anandamine transmitters in your brain which is why it's not physically addicting and is considered by many to be a 'soft drug'...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

I believe many things things are addictive, as evidenced by the fact people can not give up various things that they want to give up, be it cigarettes, booze, sex, pot, prescription drugs ( some which are opiates, like heroin, correct ? I am not an expert ), chocolate, etc. . . Some would make the case " that you must not really want to give it up " if you are unable. That of course is stupid 90% of the time. I would judge the severity of the "withdrawals " to determine which substance is the most severely addictive. From the torture of heroin withdrawals and the delirium tremors you can get coming off the booze, to the mild to heavy anxiety people feel while quitting cigs or weed. Face it, us humans have a heck of a time kicking things that hit pleasure centers in their brains and bodies. Once most people face the fact that pot is addictive, like so many other things, then the debate over how good or bad it is will be more valid and truthful.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, though it has receptor sites in the brain that THC binds to. You can google the proper pathway engendered by this binding.

Heroin and morphine are not synthetic opiates, but the derivatives of the poppy plant. Morphine is the active ingredient, while heroin is morphine heated in the presence of acetic acid.

They do work in the same way; binding to receptor sites in the brain.

• 1 decade ago

opiates are made from opium..............i don't understand artificial..........

pot is not an opiate........

almost everything you enjoy hits the same pleasure center in the brain..it's a matterr of degrees

• 1 decade ago

it's a psychological drug

• 1 decade ago

no, actually believe it or not it is more in the class of 'speed'.. though it slows your reaction it actually raises your blood pressure.. weird eh?

• 1 decade ago

not at all, read this: http://www.doitnow.org/pages/126.html

The third question is how pot works in the body. Should be helpful.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.