Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

Paint milk chocolate with white chocolate?

My sister is having a range of milk chocolate objects on her wedding cake ie. planes, air traffic control towers, etc. and has been told by the lady who makes them she can only have them in milk / dark chocolate. Does anyone know of a way to paint / coat them in white chocolate or another edible substance (not icing) which will allow them to be coloured? She has asked and there is no way the lady will relent and make them out of white chocolate so this is the only way she can have the objects she wants. Any tips would be appreciated, thanks.

Favorite Answer

What someone else posted is true: white chocolate is not truly chocolate because it lacks chocolate liquor/cocoa butter, but there are many things you can purchase (including at your everyday grocery store) that are used both as dipping chocolate or in chocolate molds. When I refer to white chocolate below, please keep in mind that it is not true chocolate.

1) Bakers brand makes a white chocolate for baking, sold in the baker aisles at grocery stores. This chocolate is a little bit more sensitive to warmth than other options, so it may not be the best bet for molds.

2) Most grocery stores carry something called chocolate bark or confectioner's chocolate, sold in bricks (often in the produce section) in both milk and white chocolate varieties. This type has a firmer/drier texture than the baking chocolate mentioned above, and usually works well for both dipping and molding.

3) Wilton Candy Melts (and other brands of candy disks used for making candy) work very well for both dipping and molding. These come in dark and light chocolate (actually have a cocoa butter content, so they are "real" chocolate), and various colors and white (these do not have cocoa butter.) If you put these in a plastic disposable cake decorating bag (or in a plastic freezer bag), then melt the disks in the microwave, you can snip of the end (or corner) of the bag to easily squeeze the chocolate into your molds or drizzle zigzigs or other accents onto already formed chocolates. (Note: Wilton also sells special candy colorings for tinting the Candy Melts, as well as candy flavorings. You'll also find other candy flavoring options in stores that sell candy making tools.)

If this lady who was hired to make these chocolates (is she making the wedding cake?) doesn't know about these options, she is not an expert (in my opinion). Perhaps she is a cake baker/decorator and doesn't usually do candies, but as a cake decorating teacher and decorator for a catering company, this is product info I would consider to be widely available and would expect someone working in the industry (cakes, candies) to know. Even if she is not using molds and is forming these by hand or by cutting them to shape, these white chocolate products are widely available and would work in some way as outlined below.

White (or other colors) of the melted Candy Melts can be squeezed (as described above) or painted into parts of the candy molds, allowed to set, then filled in with other melted Candy Melts (or other chocolate, white or regular) to fill them up. Chill the molds then pop them out. Alternatively, you could mold the candies in whatever color/chocolate, pop them out of the molds, then paint or pipe the details on top in the preferred colors.

Of these options, I'd say Candy Melts are the easiest to use. They can be purchased at craft stores such as Michaels (Hobby Lobby stores sell another brand, I think it is Make N Mold) and some SuperWalmart stores stock them in their Cake Decorating section (part of the craft/fabric area). You/your sister could probably locate some of the shapes (airplanes, etc.) as candy molds online and attempt these at home yourself. (Included in Sources are links to the Wilton website, plus a link to options for airplane molds at Ebay and Sugarcraft, a company that sells cake and candy supplies. You'll find other options searching "Airplane candy molds" on Yahoo or your preferred search engine.) It might take a few trial runs to get the appearance/quality up to par, but at least you'd get what you wanted. Or simply tell this lady about these options.

Good luck!

~Maria

Source(s): http://www.wilton.com ~baker with coffee house/catering company with 20+ years home experience ~cake decorator and instructor for almost 3 years ~experience working with these products, including molding candy http://search.ebay.com/airplane-candy-mold_W0QQfkr... http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/candymolds/M-veh...

My first question is why your sister hasn't gotten a 2nd opinion from a different chef? Is this the ONLY one available? A different chef might know how to mix the two.

In researching to answer this, I found out that white chocolate is not truly chocolate because it lacks the chocolate liquor made from the cocoa powder. Good white chocolate contains cocoa butter, sugar, milk solids and vanilla. Inferior brands contain vegetable fat instead of cocoa butter.

You can alternately purchase some white chocolate pieces from a major chocolatier and have them added to the cake. I do not see much blending of white chocolate on top of milk chocolate or other chocolates.

Another anternative is to ask the lady if she'd make one set of objects in white chocolate only, and alternate them on the cake.

I'll send you some links below.

She can also ask the lady if she'd be willing to decorate some of the items in nonpareils as these can be white. Nonpareils are teeny tiny candy dots used to decorate pieces of chocolate. They can be white.

There was an "old trick" I was told which was that, to make a chocolate that will harden better, you can melt a tiny bit of parafin into the chocolate. I never tried it so I cannot state 1st hand how it works. supposedly it does not alter the flavor. I doubt that a professional chef would do that, but your sister could ask it that would resolve any problems of blending the two dark and white.

You can buy molds on line very inexpensively. Go to Wilton .com they have white chocolate for candy they also carry candy coloring especially for chocolate. Regular food dyes will not work . You can also get these items at a craft store such as Michael's. Check out baking101 for ideas about decorating the items. The chocolate when warmed is liquid and would be easy to brush on though for fine work I'd suggest getting some pastry bags and some tips. Do not allow the chocolate to come into contact with water if it gets wet it seizes up.

I had a project for school years back and made things out of milk chocolate for its superior melt-ability and availability, not to mention general appeal. I froze them overnight, then gave them a super quick-dip in the white candy-coating they sell at craft stores. It worked, but if the objects are really small or intricate-- lots of thin parts-- I don't know if it would work as well. The other thing you might try (with a practice piece first) is spraying it w/ Pam (cooking spray) and covering it with white powdered sugar.

my sis had marzipan and need it to be ivory so they cover it with white icing but im sure you could find another bakers who could do that only with white choco.

it sounds very nice anyway

sorry i cant help more but congrats to her for the weddin and have a fun day :)

xox

good luck

• you can get vegatable dyes which are used to colour food stuffs.they tend to run a bit ,but you would be able to paint with them .hope this helps.ps they are usually with cake decorations in super markets.

Perhaps she can rent the moulds from the vendor and make them herself?

• Helen

I would probably use crayons.