Christians and Evolution please?

Christian's, or many, seem to be against evolution. They write little smart ***, snarky questions to downplay them (breaking sins "Pride" and "anger" while doing so).

My one friend, who is Christian, once asked "so, if I stop using my arm, it'll fall off? HAHAH evolution is stupid." He took HIS idea of what evolution was, ran with it (it was an illogical assumption) then laughed at how stupid it was.

Meanwhile, I am thinking "ok, if he doesn't even understand how evolution actually works, how would he ever believe it." I'm seeing the same thing here. Someone just asked a question about monkey's turning into humans. Thats not even how evolution works, that's more an argument for "fate" then "a natural process" theory.

So, my question is, if you, Christians, cannot understand evolution and make up your own versions of it, why would anyone ever think you could accept it when you make it as unbelievable as your current beliefs? Is this a defence mechanism?

Update:

That monkey example was someone asking when a monkey will turn human - she is assuming that evolution is "fixed." She is wrong.

It's like thinking 1+1=3 then saying that a larger math problem is wrong and cannot work because of this smaller 1.

1+1+1+1 = 6 because 1+1=3 - you're stupid. This is the impression I get, they don't have a correct starting foundation so they get everything else wrong.

Update 2:

Whitehorse, I said many, not all.

Update 3:

Jesus is lord, micro and macro: Each approach offers different insights into the evolution process. I enjoy how you pick one but not the other, neat

Zenbull, i think you're right. I'd say "ignorant" though

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

They are not exactly 'making it up'... they are being LIED to. Knowledge and reason are the ENEMIES of religion... and they always have been. That is why people like Galileo was locked away, and Giordanno Bruno was burned at the stake... they were promoting 'heretical' (non-Biblical) knowledge.

"There is on earth among all dangers no more dangerous thing than a richly endowed and adroit reason... Reason must be deluded, blinded, and destroyed. Faith must trample underfoot all reason, sense, and understanding, and whatever it sees must be put out of sight and ... know nothing but the word of God."~ Martin Luther (Works Vol. 12). You can also find it quoted by Walter Kaufmann, 'The Faith of a Heretic' 1963, page 75

"For reason is the greatest enemy that faith has: it has never come to the aid of spiritual things, but -- more frequently than not -- struggles against the Divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God." ~ Martin Luther, from "The Table Talk of Martin Luther" (303)

There is a whole INDUSTRY (Christianity) whose BUSINESS it is to create whole generations of adults who are, at once, gullible, irrational, willfully ignorant, self-deluded, intellectually dishonest, droolingly stupid and hypocritical... and willing to tithe 10% for the privledge of having their cognitive dissonance held in check through regular doses of holy bullshit.

Religious 'shepherds' KNOW that their 'flock' (sheeple) are scientifically ignorant and incapable of critical thinking... because they've been PROGRAMMED to be ignorant. They KNOW that they are suspicious of 'scientific' sources , and find them to be intimidating and incomprehensible... because they've been CONDITIONED to distrust them. These puppet-masters KNOW that their flock (victims) will seek their 'knowledge' from 'trusted' sources... these very-same puppet-masters. When the sheeple hear things like 'scientists claim that humans and apes shared a common ancestor, in the distant past', they experience 'cognitive dissonance'... this information is in conflict with the 'truth' that they have believed for their whole lives. So... where do they go to resolve this cognitive dissonance?... Scientists?... NO! They go to their 'trusted' sources... the sources who KNOW that they have been taught WHAT to think... they have not been taught HOW to think. Sources who KNOW that they can lie, obfuscate, misrepresent with impunity... with absolutely NO RISK that their minions will seek out independent, peer-reviewed corroborating information.

They do their jobs very well indeed... as can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xKDKq_PPbk

Youtube thumbnail

&mode=related&search=

This is a good news/bad news sort of thing. The GOOD news is that these Christian mind-control tecniques... perfected and refined over the past 1,700 years... only work on people who do not have the critical-thinking skills and reasoning power to penetrate the logical fallacies, lies, misrepresentations and deceit upon which this fraud is constructed. The BAD news (and it's REALLY bad news) is that this accounts for 85%+ of the adult population of the USA.

Source(s): DuckPhup
  • 1 decade ago

Micro-evolution has variations within it's own species. Macro-evolution has one species changing into a completely different species such as a T-rex into a bird or a fish into walking mammal. And this is supposed to have happend over millions of years that keeps changing its numbers every couple of years.

Cosmologically, the sun is shrinking at a precise rate. If you go back even a million years, the sun's heat would be enough to make this earth unlivable.

Even Darwin admits that the eye is so complex that evolution cannot explain its formation. The human eye has millions cells that work together to form an image with the lens just so to reflect and refrac just right to form a moving picture. Statistical chance of trial and error over millions of years to get the eye just right is ridiculous and the creature's supposed to have survived in the meantime.

How can a fishlike creature go to land without a lung, or did it have a lung to begin with? And if it did have a lung while in the water, it would have been at a disadvantage. Evolution says the survival of the fittest while this mutations occured over time to form a new creature that lived at a disadvantage.

Where are the millions of fossills? Not just one link. There should be millions upon millions of transitions.

Richard Dawkins has never been able to answer the addition of genetic information to create a new creature such as formation of wings and feathers which genetic information is not present before the creature's supposedly evolved..

If a creature's single cell is so complex that it took scientists years to figure out the complex funcstions of it, and it took billions of those cells just to form one hand, and it all came by chance, THAT my friend takes more faith.

Logic and science dictate that a creation came from a creator. Design demands a designer.

Moreover, when you remove God out of our life, then we have no right to speak of cause according to the Declaration of Independence, our rights come from God.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it,

• There are 2 sides to this really.One is the elvolution of the body and the other is the presence of being.The evolution of the body goes on and on it is physical,material it goes on and on until it dies,and is replaced by something that lived a bit longer.That is evolution.The presence of being was always there.Like it is now .It always looked out from the eyes,felt through the skin,heard with the ears and all the rest of it.Millions of years this has gone on for the question is who see,s it .....We are not the body.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, it is a defence mechanism. As exemplified by another answerer who lied about what Darwin said and the fossil record, and generally showed extreme ignorance, so as to be able to dismiss it all with an argument from personal incredularity / ignorance.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I think it is unfair to lump all Christians into such a category.I know of many Christians who are well informed as to the science of evolution versus creationism, and have chosen to believe the latter. Though surely they live first according to faith, their knowledge of science does not contradict their faith. (And as you mention, speaking with respect and in the true Spirit of God is also essential)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Catholic position concerning belief or unbelief in evolution may never be finally settled, but there are definite parameters to what is acceptable Catholic belief.

Concerning cosmological evolution, the Church has infallibly defined that the universe was specially created out of nothing. Vatican I solemnly defined that everyone must "confess the world and all things which are contained in it, both spiritual and material, as regards their whole substance, have been produced by God from nothing" (Canons on God the Creator of All Things, canon 5).

The Church does not have an official position on whether the stars, nebulae, and planets we see today were created at that time or whether they developed over time (for example, in the aftermath of the Big Bang that modern cosmologists discuss). However, the Church would maintain that, if the stars and planets did develop over time, this still ultimately must be attributed to God and his plan, for Scripture records: "By the word of the Lord the heavens were made, and all their host [stars, nebulae, planets] by the breath of his mouth" (Ps. 33:6).

Concerning biological evolution, the Church does not have an official position on whether various life forms developed over the course of time. However, it says that, if they did develop, then they did so under the impetus and guidance of God, and their ultimate creation must be ascribed to him.

Concerning human evolution, the Church has a more definite teaching. It allows for the possibility that man’s body developed from previous biological forms, under God’s guidance, but it insists on the special creation of his soul. Pope Pius XII declared that "the teaching authority of the Church does not forbid that, in conformity with the present state of human sciences and sacred theology, research and discussions . . . take place with regard to the doctrine of evolution, in as far as it inquires into the origin of the human body as coming from pre-existent and living matter—[but] the Catholic faith obliges us to hold that souls are immediately created by God" (Pius XII, Humani Generis 36). So whether the human body was specially created or developed, we are required to hold as a matter of Catholic faith that the human soul is specially created; it did not evolve, and it is not inherited from our parents, as our bodies are.

While the Church permits belief in either special creation or developmental creation on certain questions, it in no circumstances permits belief in atheistic evolution.

• 1 decade ago

Find new friends. Your acquaintance is simply too stupid for you to associate with.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You gave no defenition of evolution.Micro-"evolution" is a fact.Variations within the same kind of animal.

But,Macro evolution is a fairytale that goes against the bible.

http://www.drdino.com

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

"So, if I stop using my arm, it'll fall off?"

Well if the entire human race stopped useing one of their arms and we did not live in the society that we live in today, human will proberly evolve to only have one arm over a period of about a million years.

• 1 decade ago

UH!!!!! cannot people understand that evolution is of the devil???? cannot you see this people??? goodness, i mean...God CREATED EVERYTHING!!!! HOW LONG 'TILL THAT GOES THROUGH PEOPLE'S HEADS????/

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.