Is everyone paying attention?

My brother died of AIDS today.

I have read lately that HIV infection rates are rising significantly in major cities among the young gay community again and that the cause has been a significant increase in unprotected sex.

In his honor I ask you all how many more need to die to get folks to pay attention?

Thank you all for your kind words of condolence but of even more importance, thank you all for paying attention.

Now how do we get others to pay attention?

Best Answer

I am really sorry.

In an age still rampant with danger the mass media still encourages promiscuous and dangerous behavior as fun and risk free. Most of all the problems in our society can be traced to 3 things Big Government, Corporate control, and Mass Media. I pay attention so do a lot of people that is why I am all for anyone in stable one partner relationships. There is a reason to have a moral foundation, because it keeps us safe from deadly diseases. Some people think if they are Gay they should go to the bad place. I say they need to be shown real love and compassion and not go searching for it from an empty physical act. - a good solid hug never killed anyone. My thoughts go out to you and your family in this time of morning. I will keep you in my prayers and know that your brother has gone home and God will watch over you and look after your brother too. After all God loves us all.

My heart goes out to you.I think we as a nation have kind of forgotten or put it on the back burner since the first few years of the pandemic.Hopefully, you have someone to talk with or supports in your family or groups. Aids is also rising among straight teens too. Alot of parents and young people are going to be devastated when they find out and aids research is still stalled. I however, honestly, do not have an answer to your question.

• Zaggy

My friend, you have my deepest condolences and I am so sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, the LGBT community, along with the rest of society seemed to have gotten a little lose with the STD issue as of late. Nobody else should have to suffer this terrible disease, for it is mostly avoidable. We need more education, and a curb to the sex-crazed mentality that has gotten us into this mess in the first place.

Truly sorry to hear about that, even though I didn't know him and don't know you. Its sad when anyone dies, especially when its from something like aids. You are in an unfortunately unique position to open peoples eyes and bring it to peoples attention. You have the ability to speak from experience and start something in your town to raise awareness and maybe press forward to other towns close to you. Start a web page, find local companies that will print up fliers for you at no or discounted charge. Put posters up around town, in store windows, in drug store windows, at the condom display sections of any store if they will let you. I hope you can use this sad experience to everyones advantage.

You can get free hosting from http://www.110mb.com/

Good luck

• Kat

I'm so sorry about your lost. I've been there-so I know how it feels. I have been part of an education program that educate students in the school district about issues regarding HIV/AIDS/STDs for 4 years now. Anyway, best wishes and lots of love to you and your family.

I do understand your pain. i have lost numerous friends. and my best friend is living with hiv right now. the way you can give back is by volunteering at a aids hospice. or take a meal to a hiv patient that is shut in. just remember them. dont forget who they were. and not what they have.

I am sorry for your lose

your are so right i think every one should watch

And The Band Played on

and

Angels In America

at least once

Im so sorry for your loss and i get what you mean yet the world never really wants to listen to anyone not even when its a matter of life and death its really sad.

• ziggy

Iam sorry for your loss!!

Yes, more people need to pay attention to safe sex, AIDS is a terrible thing, and we all ned to do our part to protect ourselves and others from getting it. My heart goes out to you and your family!!

• Oberon

My heart goes out to you and your family. You will be in my thoughts and prayers today.

It's a horrible tragedy when someone is lost because of this damned sickness. We all need to take the precautions so that there aren't more deaths.

You have my word, that I will not forget you or your brother. His death will not be in vain.