What does this phrase mean?

"Apathy is death"

There's this girl I sit next to in Algebra 2 who always says that. We argue about politics and religion and today when we discussed my religion she said that (she's atheist by the way, I'm Roman Catholic Christian). What duz that mean.? i feel stupid when she says it.

I looked up apathy in the dictionary, but I couldn't figure out how it's death.

I know what an atheist is.

So she's saying that because I support the bush administration, the war, and believe that global warming isn't man caused that i don't care about things and I'm not living life?

• pink
    Favorite Answer

Another way of saying this is to say:

If you do nothing, nothing will be done.

If you dont live, you will die.

Definition- Apathy is a psychological term for a state of indifference

What she is saying is that since you just go with the flow of the current administration, you are not rising up and letting your voice be heard, not thinking for yourself, that you are just accepting things as they are. You are essentially doing nothing, just going with the flow of things.

This is the position of many leftist anti-war protestors right now. They oppose the people they view as religious right wing supporters of the current administration.

And yes, ... if she uses big words that confuse you to the point that you can no longer argue with her.... she won the debate. Hee hee... better luck next time. :o)

Try this..........say,

"I am not apathetic, to the contrary, I choose my battles wisely. I choose not to be an alarmist just to gain attention to my otherwise dull existance. I have life, religion, and am very patriotic. I support the war, and the men fighting it."

That will zinggggggggggg her right out of her chair. :o)

Source(s): I love to argue.... lol.... hee hee.

Apathy means that you don't give a sh*t one way or the other. She's probably trying to say that if you don't care then you're not really experiencing life to the fullest and might as well be in a state of death----apathy is like death of the mind.

• neni

Apathy means you don't care anymore, you don't bother. So she is saying when people stop caring about things, it's like being dead. What's left if there's nothing you care about.

In a political context, she may be saying that people's apathy towards what is happening in the world will lead to our deaths--literally or figuratively.

Apathy is not to care one way or the other about others. They are indifferent. If you care about our world, the war, and others: you are not the one who is showing apathy.

I found this quote: "I have a very strong feeling that the opposite of love is not hate--it's apathy'. by Leo Buscagia

I do not know this author, however, I do think you are a caring and loving person, or this would not even bother you. :)

Turned away - a horse has been broken in and then turned out to grow up for a season, physically. Tying up -or tied up, - when a horse has a sort of spasm usually in the back legs, also called lymphangitis, a swelling and paralysis due to fast excersise after a period of rest while still on hard feed. This is serious and the only prevention is to change to bulk feed only on the night before a day off, possible turn out into paddock and then gentle excersise for the first 1/2 hour or so the next time he or she is ridden. If they do tie up then forced excersise is unadvisable. Box home and keep warm till vet arrives. Good to do - easy to keep both in feed (keeps weight on easily) and also easy to handle (groom, box, shoe, clip etc) depending on context. Good doer is a horse who seems to thrive on hard work and not alot of hard food and supplements. Founder is another word for laminitis an inflamation of the blood vessels in the feet with complications. Usually because the horse is too fat and is on lush grass. Was once confined to ponies but now horses seem to be getting it more too. Can also come on later in life due to Cushings Disease - another symptom would be thick curly coat in summer.

Apathy is death means that if you don't care, you might as well be dead.

If you're not going to care, and do something to solve the problems we have, then you're as good as dead - no point in even being alive.

Definition of apathy:

Lack of interest or concern, especially regarding matters of general importance or appeal; indifference.

She is saying to be indifferent to such matters is death. You have no interest or concern so your dead. How can you not care about things? How can you be indifferent to things that most people care about or have a concern about?

Hope this helps.

If you're athiest it means you dont believe in any type of god but i dont know what the phrase "apathy is death" means/

I think she is trying to tease you.

Ignore her comments and never give up on what you believe in.

Good luck and i hope ive helped you =)

x

what it means is that when ur apathetic or indifferent to everything around you there's no point in your life

I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE TRUE MEANING IS, BUT JUGDING BY WHAT YOU GUYS ARGUE ABOUT, YOU END UP GETTING THE BEST OF HER AND SHE DOENSN'T HAVE ANYTHING ELSE TO COME BACK WITH