Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsBirds · 1 decade ago

Parakeet Died Today?

My sister has 2 parakeets, one green and the other Blue &White...the Blue and white one was a female, Don't know how to say this but she died today, don't know why, but her butt/anal was big, it happened like 5 days ago, she looked like she was gonna let out an egg but some red and white thing came out but went back in, since then her anal was kinda big..lately she was just sitting there like she sleeping with her head tucked under her wing, but awhile ago she died and now the green one is just chirping away in other room...I wanted to know if anybody knows what might have happened to her?...thanx to all who answer...

• Favorite Answer

Oh I am so sorry. That is so sad. I lost two parakeets in the last year and that wasnt easy for me. Sounds like she was egg bound por girl. Well- maybe she will meet up with my two feather babies at the Rainbow Bridge. *hugs*

I'm sorry about that. The egg must have gotten stuck unside the female budgie and cracked, this is the most commen thing I know of when there is blood comming out and the anal is trying to open, maybe she did not have enough vitamines.

When birds breed they need to eat egg shells and vitamine supplements to help make the eggs stronger so they don't crack when layed, if you get another budgie and you see them mating please offer some good supplements of vitamines, ask your local pet shop what vitamines they have for breeding birds, also if you want to breed them get a nest box and soft nesting materials. Good Luck!

Source(s): Wild bird rescue and Pet Bird owner.

Yeah, that sounds like egg binding. It was probably caused by an infection, trauma to the reproductive tract, inadequate nesting area, excessive egg laying, obesity, or nutritional problems that you didn't know about. Sometimes infections can slip by without anyone noticing. I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

Source(s): Living with birds since Kindergarden pretty much does it.

Oh I am so sorry! Jeez, that's very sad. I'm afraid your little girl was most likely egg-bound. It happens and Nature can be really tough.

Here is a link to more information should you be interested to know:

http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww68eiv.htm

Again, I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your sister.

• Jusme

She was egg bound. That happens in female birds. I'm am so sorry for your loss.

Source(s): 30 years of being owned by parrots.

Sorry to hear about your loss.. prabably something to do with laying an egg that was too big... Hope your male will be okay.

I'm sorry to hear about your parakeet. She was definitely egg bound.

she could have been egg bound. which means she was trying to lay an egg but couldnt push it out!

sounds like egg binding. I'm sorry for your loss :(

Im so sorry