1 month old get chicken pox??

My daughter is 15 months old and I'm seeing spots across her shoulders and top of her back. This morning I saw a bump on her leg... I'm not positive but I think it's chicken pox. She hasn't been anywhere around anyone who had chicken pox. We were around family for the last 2 weeks, and everyone in our family has already had them years before. Now I have a 1 1/2 month old newborn, is it possible he can catch them? I read that chicken pox is contagious only before the breakout of the bumps so there's no point for me to keep my daughter away from my son now, right? I'm worried he may have caught them, no syptoms yet, but I read that babies can die form getting chicken pox at a very early age. I also read that mothers who have had chicken pox already before their baby is born pass on a immunity to their baby against chicken pox until around 3 months, and then that immunity is gone. Is there any truth to that? My daughter was vaccinated before...more below....

So my main questions are can chicken pox be caught from any other source other than someone who has them? B/c I can't find a source she may have got them from, but hopefully they aren't the pox. And should I be worried about my 1 month catching them now or if he has already caught them but has not broke out, can it be fatal?

Also my daughter has shown no symptoms: no fever, no loss of appetite, only the bumps I'm seeing... can someone have the pox virus and not have any of those symptoms in the beginning?

Favorite Answer

Even if your DD was vaxed for chicken pox she still can get a mild case as the vax is to help prevent severe cases.

"Some kids have a fever, abdominal pain, sore throat, headache, or a vague sick feeling a day or 2 before the rash appears. These symptoms may last for a few days, and fever stays in the range of 100°–102° Fahrenheit (37.7°–38.8° Celsius), though in rare cases may be higher. Younger kids often have milder symptoms and fewer blisters than older children or adults.

Chickenpox is contagious from about 2 days before the rash appears and lasts until all the blisters are crusted over.

If a pregnant woman has had chickenpox before the pregnancy, the baby will be protected from infection for the first few months of life, since the mother's immunity gets passed on to the baby through the placenta and breast milk.

Call your doctor if you think your child has chickenpox, if you have a question, or if you're concerned about a possible complication. "

My DS1 came into contact with them about 10.5 months old and we have no clue where. So I would highly recommend calling your Ped. just to make sure.

1

Source(s): Effective Chicken Pox Treatment - http://ChickenPox.siopu.com/?qifm
  • Erika

Can Newborns Get Chicken Pox

If your baby was exposed to anyone with shingles, they can catch the chicken pox becuase it is the same virus. Chicken pox is contagious even while your oldest has spots; they are contagious until the pocks scab over. And while your baby does have some passive immunity still, especially if you're breast feeding, that does not guarantee that he will not catch the chicken pox. You should see your doctor to make sure that it is chicken pox in the first place and not something more serious.

Source(s): Nurse

My children were all vaccinated for chicken pox, but recently my daughter had a small breakout of pimply-pusy looking spots. My grandma had been diagnosed with shingles (which comes from the chicken pox virus left in your system) and it turns out that she caught chicken pox from my grandma having shingles. It was mild because she had been vaccinated and none of my other children caught it.

I would take them to the Dr. to see if that is what you are even dealing with. If they have chicken pox-it is best to get it over with now.

Was your daughter vaccinated? Most kids at one year now get vaccinated.

This is not the sort of question to ask on yahoo answers.

IF your daughter is ill, we cannot diagnose it over the computer, she needs to see the pediatrician.

Chicken pox are contagious until the lesions "crust over" so if it is cp, it is contagious.

Yes, there is some immunity from breast feeding, but not 100%. Yes, it is more dangerous for newborns to get cp or any other illness for that matter.

So, the bottom line is, you ought to bring them in for a check.

Source(s): I'm a doc

Um....I didn't read all of that.

But I know that chicken pox CAN be caught as early in life as one month!!!

Also...don't be worried!

The earlier you get chicken pox the better!

Because it gets worse the older you are!

Bumps appears before the symptoms. If your daughter has it you should keep your newborn away from her since now, newborns inmune system is very fragile yet, they shouldn't be in the same room together nor your toddler should enter in his room. You have to be very careful, yesterday a poster asked the same. http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/understanding-c...

Edited to say. this is the link to the question yesterday http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Aqo5b... and this another helpful link http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_...

Take the both of them to the doctor.