alie asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

do cats claws grow back??

recently my old cat got into a fight and broke a claw! most of the time the claw is fine but then every now and then it bleeds - mainly when he decides to chew at it. the paw isnt swollen and the claw doesnt have any infection. i have been regulary cleaning it and he does let me touch the claw so he isnt in any pain! just wondering does the claw grow back????

Update:

he isnt limping thank god but he has decided that he now likes to have cuddles - think he may be feeling sorry for himself

Update 2:

and he has been fixed!!! lol

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

dont stop him cleaning it cats have natural anitybodys that help them heal much quicker then if they just have left it.

cats do bite there nails it sounds wired but its true when some times they use a tree or somthing that they can pluck and realy brakes the nail in half and they chew on it just like a dog licks it paws *** well.

you can put some of the cats milk on the paw to keep reminding him/her to lick it but othere wise it should be a problem.

BUT !!! if he keeps on limping they could be a splinter in it and you need to take him for a check up at a vets. just to be on the safe side.

Source(s): i have had 9 cats 1 queen and 3 female and 5 males but they take a lot to look after that why i had to gave away
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

yes dont pannic my cats claws cast all the time and she has had from time 2 time one missing but they just grow back

and one time she came inafter being out for 2 days with a claw off and that was red and bleedint so i think She must have been in a fight and that grew back as well.

Some times i find castings from her claws witch cast just like hair.

Source(s): cat owner for 32 years
  • 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

do cats claws grow back??

recently my old cat got into a fight and broke a claw! most of the time the claw is fine but then every now and then it bleeds - mainly when he decides to chew at it. the paw isnt swollen and the claw doesnt have any infection. i have been regulary cleaning it and he does let me touch the claw so...

Source(s): cats claws grow back: https://shortly.im/ZjDd2
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If the claw is bleeding, he should be checked by a vet. Where there is a wound, there is a chance for infection to set in. Sometimes a torn claw does have to be removed if is torn beyond growing back. Only your vet will be able to tell you. (I hope your cat has been neutered and that he is not getting into fights because he is not.)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It should grow back, in the same way that our nails grow again when we break one. As long as he isnt uncomfortable, and the claw isnt discharging puss, carry on cleaning it regularly and it should heal. Cats and dogs do tend to chew at broken claws, i imagine its like us trying to bite it to get it even again.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If the claw is completely gone, it won't grow back. If the claw is still there, simply chewed up, it will.

Good luck!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

cats claws will grow back because human finger nails grow back so it is like the same!!!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

cat's claws grow like people's fingernails

• 4 years ago

Take her to the vet, there could be serious issues with her paws. Cat litter and the bacteria in it could cause a nasty infection. If you try to remove them yourself, you run the risk of making the situation much worse. While your at the vets, ask them to teach you how to trim the nails yourself, it may take a bit of work, seeing as how it appears you've never had them trimmed before, but for her sake, it's worth it.

• 1 decade ago

Have you taken your cat to the vet? She/He might be able to put your mind at rest. As for the puss wanting cuddles, isn't that a good thing! *s*

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.