i need help with my history can you help me please?
After the affair at Harper's Ferry, abolitionists considered John Brown to be
A. a likely candidate for president of the Union.
B. a martyr to the antislavery cause.
C. an advocate of Southern interests.
D. a fanatical madman.
2. With many black and white casualties, the slave uprising in Southampton, Virginia, in 1831 is known as the
A. Nat Turner Insurrection.
B. Cato Conspiracy.
C. Denmark Vesey uprising.
D. Gabriel Plot.
3. The famous words "Don't give up the ship" were spoken by
A. James Lawrence.
B. Winfield Scott.
C. John Paul Jones.
D. Stephen Decatur.
4. What happened as a result of the Battle of Fallen Timbers and the Treaty of Greenville?
A. Indians ceded much of Ohio to the United States.
B. Ohio and Indiana became states.
C. "Mad Anthony" Wayne became governor of Ohio.
D. Many settlers headed west, leaving the Ohio Valley.
5. Who was known as the "Great Compromiser"?
A. Andrew Jackson
B. Henry Clay
C. Daniel Webster
D. John Quincy Adams
6. "Old Hickory" was the nickname of
A. John Tyler.
B. Andrew Jackson.
C. James Buchanan.
D. Abraham Lincoln.
7. As Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, Marshall's decision in Marbury v. Madison (1803) established
A. the principle of judicial review.
B. the power of the court to enact laws.
C. the electoral college.
D. the right of the court to invalidate a state law.
8. The chief spokesman for states rights was
A. Jefferson Davis.
B. John C. Calhoun.
C. Robert E. Lee.
D. Henry Clay.
9. Slaves were helped in their attempts to gain freedom by the
10. The founder of the first American colony in Texas was
A. William B. Travis.
B. Davy Crockett.
C. Sam Houston.
D. Stephen F. Austin.
11. The first state to ratify the Constitution was
C. New Jersey.
12. After the fall of Fort Sumter, which of the following border states joined the Confederacy?
13. America's first Secretary of State was
A. John Adams.
B. Thomas Jefferson.
C. Alexander Hamilton.
D. James Madison.
14. The first Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court was
A. Alexander Hamilton.
B. Edmund Randolph.
C. John Jay.
D. George Marshall.
15. The first Southern state to secede from the Union was
C. South Carolina.
16. The Shays' Rebellion was mainly a response to
A. the threat of farm mortgage foreclosures.
B. taxes on whiskey.
C. a financial crisis in the U.S. Congress.
D. trade disputes among the states.
17. The "George Washington of South America" is another name for
A. Francisco Miranda.
B. Jose de San Matrin.
C. Antonio de Santa Anna.
D. Simón Bolívar.
18. The battle that proved to be the turning point of the Civil War was the battle of
D. Bull Run.
19. Running on his record as a hero of the Mexican War, _______ ran as the Whig Party candidate and was elected president in 1848.
A. Zachary Taylor
B. Winfield Scott
C. Stephen Kearny
D. Millard Fillmore
20. What amendment to the Constitution ended slavery?
21. What president was impeached for defying the Tenure of Office Act?
A. Ulysses S. Grant
B. Rutherford B. Hayes
C. Andrew Johnson
D. Franklin Pierce
22. The supporters of the Constitution were know as
23. The first public high school was founded in
24. The American author who wrote about New England Puritans was
A. Nathaniel Hawthrone.
B. Harriet Beecher Stowe.
C. Edgar Allan Poe.
D. Herman Melville.
25. The United States doubled its size because of the
A. War of 1812.
B. Louisiana Purchase.
C. Texas Annexation.
D. Mexican War.
- 1 decade agoFavorite Answer
OK, asking for help with one homework question is one thing, but that is ridiculous to ask people to do all your work.
- Anonymous1 decade ago
Wow, does any of this count toward my second high school degree?
John Brown was considered a fanatic, but his defense was that he was a committed Christian who could not tolerate the enslavement of another human being, especially based on race.
- Anonymous1 decade ago
no offense but this is all basic history you'd know if you paid attention and took notes in class, this is ALL in your history book! if your serious about wanting to be a teacher you need a little more discipline but because I love history here we go:
this is all I have time for. peace!