Senior fears?

Thank you all for answering my question on moving, they were all helpful answers. My other question is: Is it normal for older seniors 80 years and up to have a lot of fears and how about the memory loss thing? If you are losing your memory and you know it, does it scare you?

Favorite Answer

i am in that bracket, but i do not have any fears. i forget a lot, but that is not from any dementia or anything. my hard drive is overloaded and my search engine has to work overtime to retrieve the information. i am no longer afraid of dying, but i DO worry about those i leave behind. listen to this. the other day i was playing euchre with other senior citizens and when we finished a hand, we all forgot who dealt. happens a lot to a lot of us. i can remember when i was 5 yrs old. i cannot remember what happened 2 hours ago. no. we aren't afraid. that's for young people. lol

• Stella

Losing your memory is extremely scary . I suffered it a few years ago after prolonged surgery, and believe me it is so frightening ! You start a sentence and you can't remember the next word that you want to say...you see someone and you can't remember where they fit into your life....you can't figure out how to use a simple implement.

I was fortunate to regain most of my memory, but that experience made me very aware of the huge ramifications of the loss. It affects your whole life, not just a few parts of it.

When it happens to an older person, it is just that much worse...they feel very vulnerable, realising that this situation is not only permanent, but gettting worse by the day.

You also ask, do seniors over 80 have a lot of fears, well you can't generalise, since many never do, or only to a minor degree. But for those who suffer from multiple disabling physical problems, which render them dependant upon others, yes there are many fears to face. Life can end up revolving around doctor's appointments, taking medications, and having blood tests.

Lonliness can be a huge fear factor, too...if you have outlived your life's partner, your friends, neighbours...lonliness can be a very depressing part of ageing.

Losing your independance would be up there as the worst aspect of old age - having to depend upon others to do the most elementary tasks for you - washing, dressing, using the toilet, getting a simple meal...imagine having to rely on the good graces of someone else to do all that for you. You'd be always fearful that the helper would not come, or that they might be rough or rude to you. Its not a pretty picture, but its true for many elderly people.

I certainly hope that when the time comes, I'll be able to go the way my parents did ..... a good life, and a quick and unexpected end.

I am in my 80's, and I have a basic awareness of the possibility of Alzheimers since my family history is heavy on both sides with uncles and aunts who were institutionalized with it. Most recently my only surviving sibling, in his early 70's, has been diagnosed with it and is on Aricept medication. For five years I was involved with the BU study group that concentrates on finding a cure and I have recently signed up for its HOPE group which does annual memory tests for comparison purposes to watch for signs of onset.

I don't obsess with a fear of it and since my memory loss seems confined to the usual, every-day search for something misplaced, I still go on long distance drives alone, without any problem. I am not a particularly brave person, but I am not a fearful one, either.

• Lynn

I already see episodes of forgetfulness with both my hubby

and myself. Much more with him tho. And it scares me, since

I do rely on him so much to take care of the bills and impor-

tant things. I don't even grocery shop anymore, due to an ina-

bility to stand for long. I wouldn't want to lose my memory of

what little family I have left, or forgetting what my friends look

like. I wanted to be as sharp as others in our family were. But

I don't want to go out the way they all did with massive strokes. Most of my aunts all were around the 80 mark and

older. And I don't think I will last as long, with my health failing.

I tend to appreciate the little things now. And find happiness

in daily living, and also hearing from friends online. Keeping

my mind more alert answering questions helps, as well as

finger dexterity on the keyboard. I don't want Old Arthur to

stay long, when he comes for a visit LOL.

My aunts didn't have any fears that I was aware of. And

each of them lost their lives in massive strokes, and they

were gone quickly. I would not like to linger either, and would

appreciate going in my sleep if I'm allowed.

I am 70 years old and one of my fears is losing my ability to be independent. I worked as a nurse in a nursing home and saw some sad things and I don't want to ever have to live like that. I think losing your memory could be the worst thing to happen because you lose all knowledge of everything you ever held dear to you in your lifetime. I have seen people that no longer knew their own companion or children.

I just hope when it is my time to depart that it can be a quick exit. I do not like quanity of life near as well as quality. It is funny. My mind does not let me feel old but my body lets me know.

• red

Of course, it's perfectly natural. Doing crossword puzzles, reading, interacting with other people all helps keep the mind sharp. Do a bit of exercise, too. Gets the blood flowing to the brain. I have fibromyalgia and find sometimes I can't locate my doctor's office or someplace I'm supposed to be. It can nearly put me in tears, but I try to tell myself it isn't because I'm not trying. I just have to be patient with myself.

• Donna

I can remember things in detail from when I was a very young child but when I get up to go and do something and get halfway there and can't remember what it was ,I get angry at myself,then I laugh because I know it is in my pc (brain) and it's just a matter of time before it pops up on my screen!

I know that when my mom moved from her home she was in her late 80's. I know that she was afraid and had to be consoled alot. She likes it now, but still needs to be reassured. My dad died so she does not have him around to help her. My brother is great, he helps her so much.

Why would you assume that

people 80 & over have a lot of

fears? I'm not there yet, but

I know a lot who are and many

are sharper than me. (and i'm

sharp as a tack....no, maybe

that's a snack...oh, I get all

mixed up. what was the question again?