Question for Seniors on moving?

This is a question for seniors who have had to downsize after many years in the same house. How did you feel about getting rid of so much stuff you accumulated over the years? Was it sad for you? Overwhelming or just a releif to downsize?

Favorite Answer

I'm 67. I have been "down-sizing" since my children became adults and left the family home.....many years ago. First, I sold the home - after first offering it to the kids - who didn't want it. Moved into a nice 2 bedroom apartment. No more lawncare, maintenance, taxes or other expense.

Over the years, I have given things to the kids, to other relatives, sorted through the "family" stuff, organized the photographs and have them all in albums. Cleaned out the books - gave some away, sold some, donated some.

The last to go was all the colored glass that I love - that sat on the window sill and caught the sun.

To tell you the truth, I don't miss a thing. My dusting has been cut to practically nothing - a quick "Swiffer" and I'm done.

For the past 10 years, I have lived in a one-bedroom apartment which takes me about 3 hours to clean from top to bottom. My walls are full of the things I truly love - my book shelf is populated by only the books I truly love (I do paperbacks because I am an avid reader - and trade them at my local Book Trader). The few nic-nacs are things that have been passed down in my family.

WHAT FREEDOM!

I felt odd selling our family home...lots of good memories there - but - what would I do in a 9 room house by myself? I drive by it once in a while just to see how it's doing. Subsequent owners have really jazzed it up!

I don't miss any of the "stuff". The family things are with kids and family. What I have left are the items that are special.

I don't miss our home. I love apartment living.

I am finally free to go - and do -. I am finally free to let the dust accumulate and read or embroidery or play my guitar or keyboard or listen to music - all day if I want... I am free to travel and take day trips if I want.

Free yourself. Let your children have their pick of the stuff and sell the rest.

• Lynn

We've had to downsize in our later years, just because large

spaces take more upkeep and cleaning. We tend to have

outside sales each year to cut back on clutter and things we

don't need. It has only been when we moved out of state

that we unloaded most of our material goods to save on the

cost of transport. Older people I feel should start giving things

away they've held onto that can be used by the less fortunate,

or just giving things early to relatives that can use things.

Why sit on keepsakes that are not used and stuck away?

It would be overwhelming for our children to have to sort

through our belongings and wonder what to do with it all. So

when we downsized from a larger apt in Arizona, we also

left alot of memories with those things. Now we have things

that we use and enjoy on a daily basis. And we still feel

crammed full in a townhouse apt. But we won't have a sale

til next summer now that it's getting cold. Hopefully we can

find a needy family who can use a perfectly good quality

couch we have squeezed into our living room. We only need

one, and have a spare. I need space for a Christmas tree LOL.

I am downsizing now and it's amazing how good you feel

after getting rid of stuff you haven't used for years. It was

and still is overwhelming, but I'm sure the results will pay

off, especially when it comes time to move.

I am a boomer here, and I am looking forward to downsizing and getting rid of all this "stuff" when I can no longer stay in my current residence.

It is so overwhelming just to have it around. It is mostly some else's stuff, but I have to look at it. Simplicity is all I want at this time in my life.

It was a relief to downsize and a relief to be able to throw away so much stuff prior to moving to my smaller place.

Currently I started back on the kick of getting rid of stuff.

But back to downsizing, it is much better. My heating bill was cut in half. So was my electric bill. And the scenery is much better.

sure, i be attentive to what you're speaking approximately oh too nicely. I retired slightly over a 12 months in the past and moved from Arkansas to Missouri. I gave a good number of my 'stuff' away to the adult men who helped me load the truck that i needed I had saved notwithstanding it is so problematical to go searching and start to ask your self why every physique desires all this junk. I located a good number of it on the sidewalk and that worked nicely ... each little thing grew to become into long gone the subsequent morning. i presumed approximately burning it too yet my spouse does no longer enable it. Then i presumed 'the subsequent pass we make would be in a pickup truck and what we won't slot in there'll be left in the back of' yet then I wakened to certainty and found out it particularly is the final pass we could make till i pass domicile to be with the Lord. it particularly is humorous how we predict of precisely alike while it includes shifting. I even have great associates and that they ask your self whether we would sell and pass lower back and that i've got certain them that isn't ensue. it particularly is the final provide up before getting into Beulah Land. Welcome lower back ... you have been ignored.

I was so happy to downsize. I am content with what little I have. I would get rid of more if possible, but I have to have a bed to sleep in.

It began as overwhelming, then turned into: "OMG! Where did THIS thing come from?" It became a relief to get rid of many years of accumulation... didn't use most of it anyway. I also discovered that I do not need material things to give me memories because they're all in my heart and my photo albums.

Altho I am not yet quite a senior, I did this recently in preparation for retirement. It was quite sad. But then so much less to deal with. These questions are often conflicted. I do believe that materialism is not what it is cracked up to be.

i am in the process of downsizing. hard to do. what to keep, what to throw away etc. has to be done. i want rid of the responsibilities wanna lean back and relax.