Has anyone read romance novels A Rose In Winter or Shanna??

I believe these were written by Kathleen Woodiweiss...I am looking for historical romance novels of similar calibur...I love novels that were published in late 70's early 80's..yes, I love the story line of young virgin girl meets up with dark unknown male and is either kidnapped or falls into his hands...especially if the male is not who he seems to be..get the idea?? Then of course they fall in love (i dont consider it rape, because naturally she is in love with him and doesn't know it yet)...love the cat and mouse aspect but especially the fact that she stands up to him. Anyway, any ideas of titles you could recommend?? thanks

4 Answers

Relevance
  • ck1
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I have them and a couple of others of Kathleen E. Woodiwiss. I've listed some romance authors and some of their books that I really like. Even though the list is long, it's not nearly complete! I hope you find some you enjoy.

-Mary Balogh - The First Snowdrop; Daring Masquerade; Dancing with Clara; Courting Julia; Tangled; Tempting Harriet

-Jo Beverley - Emily and the Dark Angel; The Fortune Hunter; The Malloren series which starts with My lady Notorious

-Rebecca Brandewyne - The Jacaranda Tree; Upon a Moon-Dark Moor

-Connie Brockway - All Through the Night; Anything for Love; Promise Me Heaven

-Shirlee Busbee - Love a Dark Rider; Midnight Masquerade

-Stella Cameron - Fascination; Charmed; Bride; The Wish Club (Rossmara saga)

-Loretta Chase - The Lion's Daughter; Lord of Scoundrels; Captives of the Night; The Last Hellion (series set in 1800s)

-Elaine Coffman - Angel in Marble (and the rest of the MacKinnon Family Saga); If My Love Could Hold You

-Catherine Coulter - The Sherbrooke Bride series that starts with The Sherbrooke Bride (and pretty much anything of hers)

-Jude Deveraux - The Duchess; The Heiress; The Princess (and pretty much anything of hers)

-Rosemary Edghill - Fleeting Fancy

-Diana Gabaldon - Outlander Series

-Julie Garwood - For the Roses; The Bride; Guardian Angel; The Gift; Prince Charming; The Wedding (and most others of hers)

-Winston Graham - The Poldark series starting with Ross Poldark (it's not actually the typical romance, but it's really good)

-Maria Greene - Mine Forevermore; An Inconvenient Engagement

-Karen Harbaugh - The Vampire Viscount

-Robin Lee Hatcher - Chances Are; Devlin's Promise

-Lisa Hendrix - Hostage Heart

-Shirl Henke - Love a Rebel...Love a Rogue; Bouquet

-Georgette Heyer - Beauvallet; Frederica; The Black Moth (She's not a typical romance writer, but she wrote really good Regencies, Medieval and some mysteries)

Sandra Hill - The Reluctant Viking; The Outlaw Viking; The Last Viking (last one is Time Travel)

-Linda Howard - The MackKenzie family series (she has a lot of mysteries as well as romance)

-Lynn Kerstan - A Spirited Affair

-Laura Kinsale - For My Lady's Heart

-Jill Marie Landis - Jade; Until Tomorrow; Sunflower; Rose; Come Spring (last 3 are a series)

-Emma Lange - A Certain Reputation; The Cost of Honor

-Edith Layton - Lady of Spirit

-Johanna Lindsey - Captive Bride; Malory Family Series which starts with Love Only Once; Man of My Dreams & Love Me Forever

-Elizabeth Lowell - Medieval Series - Untamed; Forbidden; Enchanted

-Meagan McKinney - The Ground She Walks Upon; Lions and Lace

-Linda Lael Miller - Emma and the Outlaw; Valerian Vampire series - Forever and the Night; For All Eternity; Time Without End; Tonight and Always

-Constance O'Day-Flannery-The Gift; Timeswept Lovers

-Joan Overfield - The Door Ajar; Time's Tapestry (time travel)

-Jane Peart - The Brides of Montclair series starting with The Valiant Bride (Christian author with a very long series starting in 1700s and going through to the present)

-Rosamunde Pilcher - The Shell Seekers; September; The Empty House; Under Gemini; Snow in April; The End of Summer (and any of hers...not typical romance, but romance in them)

-Mary Jo Putney - Fallen Angels series starting with Thunder and Roses; Silk Series starting with Silk and Shadows

-Nancy Richards-Akers - The Heart and the Heather; The Heart and the Rose

-Nora Roberts - Montana Sky; Born in Fire; Born in Ice; Born in Shame (and a lot of others)

-Susan Sizemore - Wings of the Storm; After the Storm; In My Dreams

-Christina Skye - Draycott Abbey Saga starting with Hour of the Rose

-LaVyrle Spencer - The Endearment; Forgiving; The Gamble; Vows

-Katherine Sutcliffe - A Heart Possessed; My Only Love; Shadow Play

-Shelly Thacker - Falcon on the Wind; Forever His; His Forbidden touch

-Patricia Veryan - The Tales of the Jeweled Men series starting with Time's Fool

-Kathleen Woodiwiss - Come Love a Stranger; Ashes in the Wind

• 1 decade ago

I believe I owned A Rose in Winter once upon a time...I may still have it. Catherine Coulter's Brides series (Sherbrooke bride, Hellion Bride, Heiress Bride, etc) is wonderful in that regard. I love the Sherbrooke family, and Coulter brings dialogue to life in her witty writing.

Julie Garwood has long been a favorite of mine--particularly her historical romance--because she has a knack for creating character you're going to care about. The first book of hers I ever read was The Secret (historical romance not this current popular self help book that's been going around) and it has remained one of my favorite books for over a decade.

• 4 years ago

City of Bones By Cassandra Clare Clary, Sixteen years old goes clubbing with her best friend, Simon, she sees a good-looking boy just kill another boy and realizes that she in the only person that can see them. She soon is thrown into the shadow hunter world and discovers that her life has been built on lies and is torn between love and family secrets. The race is shadowhunters but this book has werewolves, vampires,fey and warlocks, it's an urban fantasy romance. I honestly absolutely love these series, it’s engaging, the characters are hilarious and the twists are wicked! uglies by scott westerfeld "ugly until age 16 when they'll undergo an operation that will change them into pleasure-seeking "pretties." Society making everyone look the same, cause we all wanted perfection now we have it but I still isn’t good enough? Loving someone for WHO they are and not what they look like dark lover by j.r. ward ( The blackdagger brotherhood Series) it's different to all the other vampire book and the love in this is really intense. "In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there's a deadly turf war going on between vampires and their slayers. There exists a secret band of brothers like no other-six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Yet none of them relishes killing more than Wrath, the leader of The Black Dagger Brotherhood but fate brings beth into his life as he must usher the beautiful female into the world of the undead.."

• Linni
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

The Kissing Gate

Any books by Catherine Cookson

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.