Anonymous

if you have or fly an confederate flag..does that mean your racist againt blacks?

i was just wondering...im kind of confused about the whole thing

Favorite Answer

No. Do some unbias research on the confederate flag and you will understand that only bigoted propaganda suggests it could only be racist.

No, but it does imply a sort of Southern pride thing, which is almost ALWAYS misconstrued as being involved in racism, so I wonder that if people are aware if this, why do they continue to wave their flags about? Are they so proud that they don't care if the entire world thinks they're racist, or are they actually racist?

I don't really care. This guy had a shirt on with a huge Confederate flag the other day. I noticed, but I didn't draw any silly conclusions about him.

Not really. It's important to understand that during the Civil War, while slavery was a factor, both sides probably held an equal view of blacks, and that in most cases slavery was not popular in the North because whites simply could not use slaves as efficiently as the planters in the South. The Civil War had many causes, and it just so happened that the controversial nature of slavery makes it a popular one to name.

The motive behind the South's fight was not to dehumanize blacks further, but that they did not want a central government telling them what they could or could not do with their "property".

A person who flies a Confederate flag may or may not be racist, but it's not right to instantly assume that the flag implies racism.

• Sasha

I've accepted the fact that Southern people deserve the opportunity to preserve their unique history. I have a Southern heritage as well, and it's totally different than any other culture in the US. I don't personally take offense, but if I'm going to be completely honest...I think there is a small group of white southerners who do it, because they like to get a rise out of people. I don't care, the rest of the world, doesn't put too much energy. It's in the past, and they chose to live in the past, so be it. My family are proud Americans who are proud of the people of all cultures who have contributed to the greatness of this country. Although we could have done just as well in other countries (my family lives in various countries and live fantastic lives), this country has defined a special identity. I won't deny other people their identity.

No, that is not racist. The Civil War was primarily fought over states rights and differences caused by vastly different economic systems, the end of slavery was a secondary outcome of the war. It really has more to do with a respect for history and Southern pride than anything else.

No,amd I'm not from the South,nor do I care for their drawl.But the South knew what States' Rights were all about.The War of Northern Agression had very little to do with slavery,and everything to do with autonomy of the State.Centralized power always leads to a totalitarian form of government.Took a long time,but we are there.We are one step away from being serfs in the Fascist New World Order.

Good Lord NO! It is something to always be adored. The great Southern Heritage will never be forgotten. Without the South I would not know where the North would be.

Nope I fly mine all the time,

Its Heritage not Hate,,,,and if people wanna take it that way, then its on them,.

I really dont know the answer to your question, only God knows the heart.

Well it's basically saying "I know my great-great-grandparents hated n****s but they were still basically good people". You can decide whether that is racist or not.