where do names and last names come from?

so we all know adam and eve, but who were the first africian americans, chineese, etc on earth, what were their names? and where did last names come from?

• mary
    Favorite Answer

GOD MADE ALL RACES. STUDY THE FIRST 3 CHAPTERS OF GENESIS.

USE A STRONGS CONCORDANCE AND DO A WORD STUDY.

KING JAMES BIBLE AND A STRONGS CONCORDANCE. NOT A NEW KJ OR NEW STRONGS...

USE THE VERSION I MENTIONED FIRST.

THE NAME ISAACSON CAME FROM SON OF ISAAC......

THE NAME JACOBSON CAME FROM SON OF JACOB.

ETC,,,

ABRAHAM, ISAAC AND JACOB

THE PERSON THAT WAS NAMED TOOK ON THE CHARACTER OF THAT NAME.

WE ARE CAUCASIANS BECAUSE WE ORIGINALLY CAME OVER THE CAUCASIAN MOUNTAINS.

Source(s): KING JAMES BIBLE
  • cloud

Since Bible times we called someone by a name and then said he is the son of. David the son of Jesse. So if their was more than one David we knew which one he meant.

Some cultures came up with a way of saying it with one word.

Mc means son of in Scotch country. O' flannery means son of in Irish. English was Johnston or John's son. So first and last names have been around since time its self.

During the dark ages few could read or write so someone else wrote their name for them. That is why so many names are the same name but spelled very different.

Jacob Hochstettler head of the Amish movement has about one million descendants in the USA. With about that many different kinds of spellings.

Many names are similar but the spelling tells you it is French or English. Loveall is French but lovell [the astronaut] is English. Yet they are pronounced the same way.

In England many worked as clerks so they became Clark.

Smiths symths worked as horse shoer's. [black smith]

They became known for what the family head did for a living.

Many people were Martinez from Portugal found out that by dropping the ez became Martin and it was easier to get a job.

Many Jews just made up a name that sounded more English to make themselves blend in better in the USA. The Germans did the same thing during the war times especially so did immigrants change their name and move far away from New York. They came for a whole new life and many men never even told their wives and children their real name.

Why so many smiths and bakers & Davis & Adams. Trying to sound like a current president's relative.

Get off this site and go into the Internet and do some re search, your local library and find out all the generations down from Adam and Eve.. you will find last names and how they became who they were.

Well I can't tell you the names of the first black, asians, etc...

But last names are simple...

My last name is Gardner....most likely it was Gardener at some point at time.

So if I were alive back in the medieval days I would be Brian Gardener...and most likely Brian "the" Gardener....

Professions...Shoemaker... shoe maker.... winebriner.....wine briner....

get it?

most names derived from the occupation of people

like John Smith ... who's relatives may have been blacksmiths

some names have spiritual meaning.... like words for beautiful , blessed etc in whatever language they speak

I Have wondered about that many times....(Never did get into researching our names or relatives).. MY Last Name was INDIAN. I never see too many of them around! (Maiden Name, that is) So, the question goes on.......Good One too. Hope someone can answer it..... (smile)

• Karen

Last names usually came from a parent.

Ex:

Johnson--John's son . . .

Erickson--Erick's son . . .

This is the most basic of surnames, but most came about this way, or they had to do with a person's occupation.

Ex: Farmer, Butler . . .

Fun fact about myself, my last name is Pires, which means "Son of Pedro (Peter)" in Portuguese.

Why don't you read a history book?

FROM THE DINOSAURS