The Marine Recruiter?

I just talked to a marine recruiter a couple of weeks ago,any way my question is,I asked him "If I join the Marines how long is the contract"?And he keep on saying the a Marines contract is 8 years 4 years active and 4 years inactive(on stand by).And then I told him what are my changes of going to Iraq or... show more I just talked to a marine recruiter a couple of weeks ago,any way my question is,I asked him "If I join the Marines how long is the contract"?And he keep on saying the a Marines contract is 8 years 4 years active and 4 years inactive(on stand by).And then I told him what are my changes of going to Iraq or afghanistan and he tried to sugarcoded and say that I be sent only if they need Maries to go.(but i think they send you ASAP).
So my question is he basicly bullshiting(liying)?

I just want to be clear,I'm not saying that i'm scared of going to Iraq or joining the Marines,cuz i don't care if i go over there (most likely yes),I'm just asking about the 8 year contract because it sounds like alot,I just thought that he is trying to sign me up for the most years,And about the benifits(money) of joining the Marines i didn't even asked him about cuz i'm not going to join cuz of the money.