The Marine Recruiter?

I just talked to a marine recruiter a couple of weeks ago,any way my question is,I asked him "If I join the Marines how long is the contract"?And he keep on saying the a Marines contract is 8 years 4 years active and 4 years inactive(on stand by).And then I told him what are my changes of going to Iraq or afghanistan and he tried to sugarcoded and say that I be sent only if they need Maries to go.(but i think they send you ASAP).

So my question is he basicly bullshiting(liying)?

I just want to be clear,I'm not saying that i'm scared of going to Iraq or joining the Marines,cuz i don't care if i go over there (most likely yes),I'm just asking about the 8 year contract because it sounds like alot,I just thought that he is trying to sign me up for the most years,And about the benifits(money) of joining the Marines i didn't even asked him about cuz i'm not going to join cuz of the money.

• Bob
    Best Answer

Your initall contract is 4 years. However you have a totall of 8 year military service obligation. (4 yrs active, 4 yrs inactive reserves)

If I recall, any time spent in the DEP (delayed entry program) will count toward that 8 year obligation. So if you are in the DEP a full year, you only have 7 to go.

Some contracts will be for 6 years. Again, your total military service obligation is 8 years. (6 yrs active, 2 yrs inactive reserves).

With the Marines, it really depends upon your MOS. If your MOS is infantry/combat related, then YES, there is a very good chance that you will rotate to Iraq or Afganistan.

If you are really concerned about it, get into a Non-Combat MOS.

Retired AF - 10 years of AF Recruiting.

• art v

No 8 year contract is normal. Usually 4 active, and 4 inactive reserves. Some contracts are longer but 8 is the minimum.

As far as going to Iraq, it depends. It is probably likely eventually. You will have to go to boot camp them schooling which will take a few months. Then it depends what unit you are assigned to. If you get assigned to a unit that just returned from Iraq you won't go until they go back. There are alway exceptions. Or you could go right away.

I would say if you are infantry you will probably go there sooner and stay longer maybe than if you were in the air wing as an aircraft mechanic lets say. Good luck what ever your choice is. But no, it doesn't sound like he is bs'ing you.

All US Armed Forces contracts are and have been for decades, 8 year ones. Its xyears active (fulltime) and remainder of the 8 in inactive reserve. Inactive reservists show up once a year to a recruiting station to update personal information and get 1 days pay for that. Not many inactive reservists have been recalled historically and then only for weird MOSs(jobs) in short supply.

Depending on your job, you may not go to a combat zone. The recruiter was not BSing you. If you go combat arms Marine/Army then yes, you are likely to go war but even that is not 100%.

Source(s): 22 years US Army, also served a recruiter in NC.
  • John C

Fours years of active is the basic for a marine. four years of inactive is normal for all services, inactive service means you don't go to any meetings you number is first if you are needed again.

And yes you are going to Iraq if join the Marines.

I answered this previously. You have 4 years active and 2 years inactive.

And no, you won't go to Iraq right away. You have to go through schooling first. My son has been in for over 2 years and is just now going.

Source(s): Wife, Mom, Niece, and Daugher in Law of Marines

I did 4 years active 96-00

and 4 years inactive 00-04

I thought I'd get a call on 9/12 and didn't.

It usally cuts 4 years active,

4 years inactive

Source(s): E4, 0331, USMC 96-00

OK last I heard it was 8 years total for any branch. It was 6 but I guess congress or somebody changed it while I wasnt paying attention. This is what you sign for wether it be active, reserve or inactive time.

You sign an oath of enlistment to the country not to a branch of service In that oath it specifies that you will do so in a particular branch for a specified amount of time.

My husband is a marine and has been for 1 year only, has not been to Iraq, even after boot camp they will not send you after boot camp; you will have schooling. However it depends on your MOS training. If you do infantry, chances are greater. My husband works on the harriers and their ejection seats etc.........he will go to iraq in March for 6 months but in a safe place, where there is no fighting. He works on the planes and they are so heavily guarded no worries so in regards to going to Iraq, probablly but just be careful what you sign up for, if you want to shoot guns you will go to fight, fix planes be a mechanic you will go but be in the safe zone :-)\

Source(s): My husband is a marine Semper Fi

I think that they do have a shorter enlistment option. But the 4 and 4 is correct for most everyone. That was what I signed up for during my enlistment

• ks

My daughter's friend went in, did his basics... He's now in college in Japan. When he gets out of school he will have to go where he's called, probably to Iraq, or where he's needed, but he will have his education. His attitude is, why not give something back to his country.