Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

RG

Question for Roman Catholics...?

I rarely hear Roman Catholics talk about the book of Revelations.

What are your views on the book of Revelations?

What is your church's interpretation of it? (The 1st Beast & the 2nd Beast, Whore of Babylon etc.)

Favorite Answer

I am Roman Catholic and I have read the book. It's hard to give you a direct interpretation because there is so much to discuss in this book. I think it is very relevant in our lives and our times. The beast may be the devil or the main source of evil that spreads through out the world, it can also be described as the embodiment of the antiChrist .

I have read this book over and over and I don't think a single person can give you an exact direct statement on it, all I can give you is what I've read.

Some people think that John wrote it in code while he was in exile. They say it was in Nero's time frame and the occurrences that were going on already happened then, they even said that the number of the beast equaled out to Nero's name.

There is so much figurative speech and metaphors, it is almost impossible to give you anything other that what it personally means to me. As for the whore of Babylon, I'm not too sure

5 And on her forehead a name was written: A mystery; Babylon the great, the mother of the fornication's, and the abominations of the earth.

To me it sounds another embodiment of a figure, like when you're watching TV or surfing the Internet and are bombarded with sexual and explicit content. Every where you look now a days you and small children are confronted with pornographic style images, on the news, TV, MTV, in simple magazines, women are degraded, drinking to a stupor becomes the norm, not to mention all the drugs, children in middle school dancing like the tramps on MTV. It's Sodom and Gomorrah on a larger scale.

So that's my partial opinion on the beast and the whore of babylon. There is so much more about Revelations that we could discuss and so may other different ways to view it.

The best treatment of Revelations that I have found is "The Lamb's Supper" by Scott Hahn. He suggests that Revelations is a description of the heavenly worship and relates it to the Catholic Mass. This makes sense to me because of the many liturgical actions in the Book of Revelations, (robed priests, incense, alters, cups of wine/blood, etc.).

He also suggests that the 1st Beast is corrupt civil authority and the 2nd Beast is corrupt religious authority.

I personally envision John saying Mass and having the vision of heaven open before him.

I am a Catholic. I have read the Bible several times and always find something new. I think the main thing about understanding the Bible is to not isolate parts of the Bible. Revelations should be read with an understanding of the culture, the language and the history of the 1st century Jewish Christian.

• ?

The Roman ceremony is definitely considered one of the rites in Catholicism: "RITES A ceremony represents an ecclesiastical, or church, custom approximately how the sacraments are to be celebrated. each and all of the sacraments has at its center a necessary nature which will desire to be happy for the sacrament to be confected or found out. This essence - of remember, style and objective - derives from the divinely printed nature of the particular sacrament. It won't be able to get replaced by utilising the Church. Scripture and Sacred custom, as interpreted by utilising the Magisterium, tells us what's crucial in each and all of the sacraments (2 Thes. 2:15). while the apostles introduced the Gospel to the biggest cultural centers of their day the fundamental components of non secular prepare have been inculturated into those cultures. this means that the fundamental components have been clothed interior the symbols and trappings of the particular human beings, so as that the rituals conveyed the wanted non secular which potential to that subculture. in this way the Church will become all issues to all adult men that some may be saved (a million Cor. 9:22). There are 3 substantial groupings of Rites in accordance with this preliminary transmission of the religion, the Roman, the Antiochian (Syria) and the Alexandrian (Egypt). in a while the Byzantine derived as a substantial ceremony from the Antiochian, under the impact of St. Basil and St. John Chrysostom. From those 4 derive the over 20 liturgical Rites latest interior the Church at present. "

I think I can speak for a lot of Roman Catholics like myself that the book of revelations is something we do not put a lot of energy into, and it is mainly because of it's controversial content, there are some European priests that do buy into it, but in north America it definitely is a controversial book.

The Book of Revelation wwas a bision of John's. You're right, we don't deal with it much, because the language is so highly symbolic and difficult to interpret.

We DO, however, pray/sing a passage from Revelation at EVERY SINGLE MASS- the Holy Holy.

Source(s): I direct religious education at a Catholic parish.

I am so glad you asked this question. I am not much of a Catholic, but I went to a private catholic school, where we had religion class every day. Interestingly enough, when we got to the end, the teachers would not let us read the book of revelations. they said we would be scared because we wouldn't understand it, but since then I have greatly parted ways from some establishments of religion and not read the bible since. I was, however, mad that we could not read it. It is just one more thing the church would rather hide and ignore than explain.

I don't think Catholics are very interested in Revealtions because it deals with "End Times." This is an area that, in general, Protestants are more interested in. Maybe I speak for other Catholics when I say that I'm more interested in my own "end time" (the state of my soul at death) than in apocalyptic battles that may happen thousands of years from now.

It's also so highly symbolic that interpreting it required a lot of speculation.

We view the book of Revelations as symbolic more that literal. It shows how fragile our physical world is, how powerfully poisonous evil can be, and the beauty and glory that is God.

And, in response to one of you other commenters, practicing Catholics not only read the Bible themselves, but hear its words every Sunday.

Think before you..... is a bit naive, Catholics read the bible as much as any Christian. (well, obviously you do not) The book of revelations is no different for Catholic believers than that of others. It is not for a single church to interpreter the bible. Your questions is to vague and complicated for me to answer.

I am a Roman Catholic and I had never read the book. I will read it now since you are talking about it. We catholics do not read the bible that much. This is reality.