Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

Orthodontic Wax, what do you do with it?

Ok, I got my braces on today, 6 on the top and 6 on the bottom so far.

So far, its not pain unless i bite down, but I still notice it. My bottom teeth now are hurting, and they said something about putting orthodontic wax on it, and gave me alot of it.

My questions are...

1. What does orthodontic wax do, relieve pain?

2. How long do I leave it on there, what if I forget about it? What if I swallow it :\

3. How much do I put on each tooth that hurts?

Favorite Answer

1. Orthodontic wax is used to prevent and treat irritation between your braces and your lips, gums and cheeks.

2.Leave and keep replacing the wax on the irritated parts until the irritation stops. If you swallow the wax don't worry it is specially made to be digested.

3. Put a pea sized amount of wax on each irritated spot. replace the wax as it flakes away and loses its stick.

If your actual teeth are hurting you the best thing to do is take a pain reliever. If you have a bite tab (it looks like a clear rubbery u shaped thing)then bite down on that frequently. It will hurt at first but will make the pain last a shorter period of time. Biting down will help to settle your teeth into their new location. After braces you will have a gorgeous smile! Good Luck and Remember to Smile!

Source(s): Orthodontic Patient for 3+ years. Consumer of countless tins of Orthodontic Wax.

Orthodontic Wax

You only use the wax if a bracket is poking the inside of your mouth, you just take a little, about the size of half a dime or something, it really depends, and you stick it on the bracket. You can keep it there for as long as a day or as short as just a few hours, if you put it on correctly, you won't swallow it.

If your teeth are just aching because you just got your braces, don't use the wax. Take some advil or tylenol and the pain will go away in a few days.

When you get braces your orthodontist will give you wax to use in case a wire is poking the inside of your mouth. Wax does not relieve pain. You can leave it in for as long as you need to. I leave it in after dinner and all night.(about 12 hours). If you forget about it or swallow it it is fine because it is non-toxic. Put a very thin layer on the wires that are poking you.

Source(s): Had braces two and a half years, used wax every night.

If part of your braces is rubbing against the inside of your cheek, you can put the wax over that part of the braces to protect your cheek from it.

Hope this helps!

no worries about swallowing it was made to make sure if you swallow all will be ook