Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 decade ago

Grammar/ Spelling check, please!?

I have a teacher who is obsessed with spelling. Anyways, after getting a 98 on a lab for missing a comma, I am asking to see if anyone can proof read the following sentences. Thanks!

My hypothesis is that a penny will have slightly less mass if it is older. I think so because items tend to wear down as they age. If a penny wears down, it's mass will decrease.

Age does not affect the mass of penny.

I think that the older and new coins may be made of different metals which would affect their mass.

All coins probably will be affected the same way a penny will be. I think that age will have little effect on the mass of a nickel, dime, or quarter.

My histogram shows that there were a few stray pennies amongst the most popular masses, 2.5 g and 3.1 g. It also identified the two main masses.

In 1982 the penny's composition was changed. The penny changed from being made from 95% copper and 5% zinc to about 98% zinc and 2% copper. This switch of materials changed the mass of the penny.

The second line should actually be:

Older pennies tend to have a greater mass then newer ones.

I changed the second sentence. Please check this as well. Thanks so much!

All coins probably will be affected the same way a penny will be. I think that age will have little effect on the mass of a nickel, dime, or quarter unless their components have been changed.

Thanks so much for all the help! To clear up the confusion about the differences in my hypothesis. My first hypothesis was made prior to an experiment. The second was a new one I was asked to write after the experiment. Thanks again :) I just hope that my answers are correct :)

• K
    Favorite Answer

If a penny wears down, it's mass will decrease. (Take the apostrophe out of the "it's." You don't need an apostrophe in that instance.)

All coins probably will be affected the same way a penny will be. I think that age will have little effect on the mass of a nickel, dime, or quarter. (This isn't necessarily a grammar thing, but your hypothesis is that an older penny will have slightly less mass than a newer one. In the above sentence, you say that "age will have little effect on the mass of a nickel, dime, or quarter." Do you mean to say that it will have "a little" effect or "some" effect? Be sure that you're staying consistent throughout.)

Very well written.

Last sentence in paragraph 1 - its, not it's.

But this is very confusing. In one paragraph you say your hypothesis is that a penny will have slightly less mass if it is older.

The next paragraph you say age does not affect the mass of the penny.

Which is it?

1. The updated sentence reads "then newer ones"--should be "than," not "then."

2. The second line, "it's mass will decrease" should be "its" not "it's"

3. line 3, "the mass of penny" should read "the mass of a penny" or "the mass of pennies"

I agree. each each now and then it hurts my eyes just to look on the way people spell and show themselves here. while the spelling and grammar are undesirable, I merely experience that it is too plenty paintings to comprehend their question and that i flow on. in step with threat, some people don't get adequate solutions to their questions via their undesirable spelling and grammar and this selection might help them get their help. Bravo!

It seems fine, but I'm only in 7th grade (and yes, i know what a hypothesis and Histogram are)

it's should be its

may into might, made of into made up of

masses, into masses: