Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Any proof the Egyptians had Jewish slaves?

Other than the bible, is there any historical evidence that the Egyptians ever had Jewish slaves?

• w2
    Favorite Answer

Yes. A Pharoah named Merenptah said "Israel is wasted, bare of seed". The last part "bare of seed" seems to indicate Pharaoh's deep interest in Israel, and apparent control over them.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): proof egyptians jewish slaves: https://biturl.im/LYvoZ
  • manalo

Egypt Hebrew Slaves

Generally speaking, there's not much evidence for slavery in general, at least not in the same way that we think of it from our modern perspective. However, Egyptian rulers did often get Egyptian civilians to work on public buildings for part of the year (usually during non-harvest periods). Labor was used almost as a form of taxation in some eras in Egyptian history. Given the possible semitic origins of the Hyksos peoples, the stories of Israel in slavery MIGHT come from some period when random Semitic goatherders served as laborers at one point or another during the times that they stayed in Egyptian territories. Simcha Yacopovici had some interesting documentaries on this topic, including one where he showed some cave-scratchings in the Western Egyptian desert that included graffiti mixing semetic and egyptian words at a mine site. But as indicated by my own vagueness, it's still HIGHLY debatable.

I only just recently thought to question the story ,which I heard my hold life . However , I often wonder if the Egyptians had the story in there history . I would like to find more information on the subject .And as I was taught by my parents that the bible was literally true .

Well , am Egyptian. In Egypt , there r many Jewish monuments and ancient Jewish places. Of course , along with Coptic and Islamic ancient places.

Good Luck!!

I am not sure that I know of any. However, absence of proof is not proof of absence. One might argue that, if true, the last thing that the Egyptians would want as part of their history is a record of a slave revolt.

[edit] Oh, one thing occurred to me: modern scholarship favors the name "Moses" as being derived from the Egyptian.

Not possible.

The term "Jew" comes from Judea, which existed after the Exodus. It would be like asking if Rome had any French slaves, knowing France came about well after Rome was destroyed.

Now if you mean HEBREW slaves, there are some references in ancient Egyptian texts that could be referring to them.

• S K

There are no Egyptian records stating that Jews lived among them as slaves or free people. I think they did live there because they took the 10 Commandments from the Egyptian Book Of The Dead.

• ?

Oddly, there is no record of 40K slaves walking out of Egypt in defiance of the Pharoah. Go figure. The Egyptians kept records of how much salt they paid their royal guards - but seemed to have forgotten that 40K slaves walked out of town, or at least didnt bother to record it.

this is one of those things that the bible could logically support.

not the supernatural aspects of it, but it would tend to indicate that at one time a bunch of slaves or lower-class jews left egypt, whether it was becasue the pharoah prevented them or because they were kicked out by him or led out by a religious man to find a better place to live or just decided to be explorers could be an explanation.

the number might be in question as well. could be exaggerated like the noah story was based on a family of sea-merchants surviving a river flood.