oil painting?

What is exactly the step by step procedure one has to follow to paint in oils? Do you need to mix the paints with anything and in what proportions? Also, is there anything you need to watch out for when doing the actual painting?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Well i took an oil painting class last semester. It just depends on the artist actually. Try to experiment with oil, mixing the colors, etc...

You can buy things like liquin(orginal or fine detail) and lets the area dry alot quicker, like 1 or 2 weeks.

You can use turpenoid(like turpetine, but it's oderless), but i hardly ever use turpenoid, cause if used alot of it, it eventually will crack your painting overtime. I usually just use a thin layer of it, it all depends on what you want to do. There's also linseed oil, it creates a glossy transparent in your painting. I only use a bit of that in with the oil paint and liquin. You also just use pure oil paints and not mix anything with it, it just takes longer to dry.

Just try expermenting on a piece of paper, before actually starting painting or you can do a pratice canvas.

Also if you have a library, and if they have any oil painting books, those are quite helpfull to. Even some online sources will help you out if you search it on one of your favorite engines.

Well i hope that made sence. Good luck painting! ;D

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

There is no step by step "procedure" for oil painting. There are so so so many techniques. Here are my suggestions for learning to paint in oils:

1. read as much as you can online, or at the bookstore about oil painting

2. take a local oil painting class (i've been painting since I was a kid, i'm 30 now...and i am even thinking about taking a class...its so nice to get out of the house and have a nice studio to work in and get some direction from other artists)...

3. Mixing the colors is like mixing colors....they have books on proper mixing techniques, and how to use it with linseed oil, and thinners.

Check out these online resources:

http://www.oilpaintingtechniques.com/

http://www.oil-painting-techniques.com/

http://painting.about.com/od/oilpainting/Oil_Paint...

• 1 decade ago

There is no step by step "procedure" for oil painting. There are so so so many techniques. Here are my suggestions for learning to paint in oils:

1. read as much as you can online, or at the bookstore about oil painting

2. take a local oil painting class (i've been painting since I was a kid, i'm 30 now...and i am even thinking about taking a class...its so nice to get out of the house and have a nice studio to work in and get some direction from other artists)...

3. Mixing the colors is like mixing colors....they have books on proper mixing techniques, and how to use it with linseed oil, and thinners.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Valerie made some good points but you want to get started and do something right now; right? There are three 'rules' you should keep in mind with oils 1) Thick paint on top of thin (thin with turpentine). 2) Darks first and work toward lighter values as you go. 3) Fill in the large areas (large shapes) first and work toward detail as you go.

Oh yeah! Stop at a good place and you're done!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Oil paints take a little longer to dry compared to say, acrylics.

I dont mix them with anything and the effect is quite amazing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.