Who is the "TRUE" King of Rock N' Roll?

I say it's Chuck Berry. For MANY reasons ... 1. He wrote his own songs 2. He sang his own songs 3. He played guitar ( THEE main instrument of the music ) on all of his guitars 4. He is the 1st Guitar Hero 5. His lyrics contained the words "Rock N' Roll" etc.,

Rock N' Roll was ( as many of the music in America ) at the time, a "Colored Man Music" - born outta the Blues - which was born outta Jazz and so on.

No disrepect to Elvis, but he was a GREAT singer, but was given partial song credit for $$$ reasons. His style was more Country and Boogie Woogie. And when he did sing Rock N' Roll, it was usually a cover version of Little Richard or even Chuck.

What's your opinion?

Best Answer

I was gonna say Mr. Berry before I even read all of your detail!

Everytime I hear a good Rolling Stones tune from the 60's or 70's, there's Keith Richard, pickin' ol' Chuck, note-for-note!!

Because of his innovative style on the electric guitar, much underrated songwriting talent (so true to form,) and many song contributions to the genre, I would call Chuck Berry "Mr. Rock N. Roll."

He defined the "call and response" style: step up to the mic and sing a verse, step back and play it out on the strings, then step up and do it again!

It's difficult to comprehend Chuck Berry never had a No.#1 tune until "My Ding-A-Ling"!!!!

• David B5 years agoReport

Yes Chuck Berry Road his on songs but also keep in mind he wrote the same song 30 times!!! it was all the same lick in each song !!!

Chuck Berry is not the King of Rock and Roll, he is the pioneer of Rock and Roll..... Not to take anything away from Chuck Berry, but Elvis is the King ... The man has sold over a Billion Records,Tapes,Cds etc and continues to do so 30 years after his death..... This is just my opinion of course, but when one entertainer is able to do that..... They deserve a title that is fit for a *king*

I don't believe you can really pin point one person to be the king of rock n roll. there are so many great influences from the past, including the ones that you mentioned plus; jerry lee lewis, buddy holly, the beatles, jimmy page, ect.....

as far as mixing influences, chuck berry was the for front leader and i do believe that elvis, as great of a singer as he was, was a product of marketing and management.

great question.

The very first was FaTs Domino in the early 1950s. He created quite a stir. Was before any of the artists already mentioned, they all copied his style and were successful, but he was the first. He was way ahead of the times. he was to bold.LOL,LOL. Jerry Lewis was second. Elvis even mentioned Fats D.

Elvis Presley is The King of Rock and Roll, always has been and always will!

IMO There was none better than Buddy Holly , who "Wrote his own songs" , "Sang his own songs" , and was a helluva guitar player , had he not met a sad and early demise...Elvis would be merely a footnote

Source(s): And i recently read a publication on some research done by music historians and they have come to the conclusion that the first "rock n roll/rock-a-billy" song , was "Move it on Over" by none other than Hank Williams
  • skunk

I like Chuck, Elvis and the Everly Bro. they were the best.

I'd say muddy waters before chuck berry. Chuck wouldn't have even had a sound if it weren't for muddy waters.

Elvis Presley is the kind of rock n' roll but it it was my pick it would be Jon Bon Jovi!! They rock so much.

Yah. I agree with you. Chuck Berry. =)