I am far-sighted with astigmatism. Will Lasik work?

I am far-sighted. I see distances great, but words in books look like lines of smudge to me until I put on glasses. I also have astigmatism. I've heard and read that Lasik is best only for near-sighted people and is contra-indicated for both far-sightedness and astigmatism. I would like to hear from people who... show more I am far-sighted. I see distances great, but words in books look like lines of smudge to me until I put on glasses. I also have astigmatism. I've heard and read that Lasik is best only for near-sighted people and is contra-indicated for both far-sightedness and astigmatism. I would like to hear from people who have had lasik for these conditions or work in the industry who would have knowledge about this. Any pointers to credible references would be appreciated!

Also, I've seen too many upbeat advertisements and too little real information so I don't know what to think. I've heard Lasik is great from some people (near-sighted people) but I am a little nervous considering the ads on radio who advertisements sound like, "We'll do one eye for $499 and you get the second one FREE! But only for a limited time! Call now to get this special deal! You'll be happy! Eye guarantee it!"

You know what I mean?
Update: I have a few years to go before I'm 40. I've been wearing glasses for almost 10 years and have been told by both an ophthalmologist and my optometrist that I'm farsighted. Haven't seen the ophthalmologist in a while - I just go in and get the optometrist to check me for my yearly checkup and... show more I have a few years to go before I'm 40. I've been wearing glasses for almost 10 years and have been told by both an ophthalmologist and my optometrist that I'm farsighted. Haven't seen the ophthalmologist in a while - I just go in and get the optometrist to check me for my yearly checkup and prescription. Eyesight is getting worse each time, but not alarmingly so.