the_dragyness asked in HealthOptical · 1 decade ago

I am far-sighted with astigmatism. Will Lasik work?

I am far-sighted. I see distances great, but words in books look like lines of smudge to me until I put on glasses. I also have astigmatism. I've heard and read that Lasik is best only for near-sighted people and is contra-indicated for both far-sightedness and astigmatism. I would like to hear from people who have had lasik for these conditions or work in the industry who would have knowledge about this. Any pointers to credible references would be appreciated!

Also, I've seen too many upbeat advertisements and too little real information so I don't know what to think. I've heard Lasik is great from some people (near-sighted people) but I am a little nervous considering the ads on radio who advertisements sound like, "We'll do one eye for $499 and you get the second one FREE! But only for a limited time! Call now to get this special deal! You'll be happy! Eye guarantee it!"

You know what I mean?

I have a few years to go before I'm 40. I've been wearing glasses for almost 10 years and have been told by both an ophthalmologist and my optometrist that I'm farsighted. Haven't seen the ophthalmologist in a while - I just go in and get the optometrist to check me for my yearly checkup and prescription. Eyesight is getting worse each time, but not alarmingly so.

• yagman
    Favorite Answer

Lasik will correct three types of vision problems. Nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism. There is much confusion on this though. Many people who have difficulty seeing at near THINK it is because they are farsighted but if you are over 40 the problem is probably PRESBYOPIA. This is the age related loss in the ability to focus the eyes. Lasik DOES NOT correct presbyopia. The problem is many people do not understand the difference between farsightedness and presbyopia. Many people believe that if they are over 40 and can no longer read that this problem is due to farsightedness but it is not. The problem is presbyopia for those over 40. And remember Lasik does not correct presbyopia. So to know for sure and remove any doubt you need to go in for an examination from a doctor that works alot in laser vision correction and let him or her tell you definitely if Lasik is right for you. Hope this helped.

Stopped by to see if you had responded and noticed you had. Well, it sounds like you indeed are farstighted. So Lasik WILL correct frasightedness. But in your response you said it seems like every time you go in your farsightedness is getting worse. This is a problem. It is possible the reason your doctor has been saying you are not a candidate may not be that Lasik will not work with farsightedness but that you are continuing to change over time. Lasik should only be performed on a patient who has demonstrated a stable prescription over time. If you are involved in ongoing change and have Lasik it is very possible that you will continue to change. If that were to happen, relatively soon you would find that your vision would become unsatisfactorily blurred again. Because Lasik thins the cornea, there is a limit to the number of times Lasik can be performed. There is a minimum thickness beyond which the cornea will become unstable and can lead to degenerative changes. So, I would again recommend you go in and see your Lasik specialist and depend upon him or her to guide you in regard to your decision. In regard to the other answer you received please TOTALLY IGNORE the information. It has no basis in fact. But is was quite amusing to read.

Source(s): Me. I am an optometric physician.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I am far-sighted. I see distances great, but words in books look like lines of smudge to me until I put on glasses. I also have astigmatism. I've heard and read that Lasik is best only for near-sighted people and is contra-indicated for both far-sightedness and astigmatism. I would like to...

Source(s): sighted astigmatism lasik work: https://tr.im/qhchR
  • zamoro

Lasik For Farsightedness

For the best answers, search on this site https://smarturl.im/aD1PG

Lasik is capable of correcting nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism. It doesn't matter whether one eye is one and the other is another. Each eye is dealt with separately based upon its own individual needs. EDIT: Carson D is confusing farsightedness with a condition called presbyopia. Farsightedness is NOT a difficulty with focusing at near. That is what presbyopia is. This is one of the most common misconceptions by those who are not educated in eye care.

• roever

Farsighted With Astigmatism

• As always be careful of advertisements, do your research. You only have two eyes, do you want to trust someone to do surgery for $250 an eye? As the old saying goes "When it's to good to be true, it probrably is". These companies will disqualify you from that promotion for many reasons. If you have over a certain prescription, astigmatism, etc. Also, they more than likely have independent surgeons as opposed to on staff surgeons. They may have older technology which you may not qualify for. It's impossible to diagnose your condition over email. My suggestion is to find someplace that offers a free evaluation and go in. Depending on age you may be a candidate for monovision or CK surgery.

Best of luck,

Bill

New England Eye Center

http://www.mylasikdoc.com

Vision loss implies a decrease in the eye's ability to record an image and/or send the image to the brain.

Invasive surgeries aimed at correcting vision have become acceptable, but they cost a lot of money and are not without side effects.

Corrective surgery is not the only solution available to us today. There are a number of effective ways in which vision can be restored naturally.

It's really possible to improve your vision without surgery with some specific eye exercises. I'm following this method:

http://www.goobypls.com/r/rd.asp?gid=413

and it's working incredibly well. It can help you rid yourself of glasses and contact lenses permanently.

Most people believe that once they are diagnosed with some vision problem and start wearing eye glasses or contact lenses to correct them, they will have to do so for life in order to see better. Those who want a permanent solution to improve eyesight typically resort to Lasik or other corrective eye surgeries. But you you can also improve your vision without surgery and can see perfectly well without using eyeglasses or contact lenses. You can check here to know how https://tr.im/33c02

People are often confused with what farsightedness means. Farsightedness or Hyperopia means that the eye is too short to focus at a distance object. The lens in the eye has to become more convex or + powered to see in the distance where as a normal eye can just look at the distance. It is more difficult up close because the lens has to do even more focusing where as a normal eye has to use the lens to focus up close. The symptoms depend on the amount of Hyperopia and the age of the person. Someone with low hyperopia and is young can most likely see in the distance, but would have some problems with up close work such as eye strain and headaches. Someone who has moderate to high Hyperopia and is young will probably have distance and up close vision blurry and experience more eye strain and headaches, and they may even cross their eyes. As we get older, our lens becomes less and less flexible, so it would become harder to focus. For someone with Hyperopia, their near and far vision becomes worse, but someone with normal eyes would only have near problems. This is a very common misconception. You are not farsighted, you just need reading glasses for presbyopia.

Source(s): Me: moderately hyperopic

Improve Your Eyesight Naturally