Tammy A asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

What is the best way to secure a lower denture? I have had an upper plate for 10 years.?

About a month ago, I got my few lower teeth removed and got a lower plate. I had a lot of trouble healing from the extractions but have been able to wear the plate for the past week or so. I still don't enjoy eating because they are still not comfortable. I know I have to build up "calluses", but is it ever going to be totally comfortable like the top plate? Will I ever be able to chew without "discomfort"? How is it supposed to fit? How is it supposed to feel? I have tried Fixodent, Poligrip and SeaBond - no matter which I have used, the plate only feels securely placed for a couple of hours or so, unless I eat something or talk too much. If I talk much, I feel it loosen up, like there are air pockets under the plate all of a sudden. If I eat, the plate feels like there are springs under it - like it is bouncing on a cushion. Food immediately attached itself to the edges and if I chew wrong or move my tongue too much, the plate "pops loose" Help!!

Favorite Answer

Truth is some people just cannot get the lower to stay down.

It's the muscles in the mouth that causes it to dislodge. I have dental implants and I can testify for certain that eating with these is the same comfort as eating with natural teeth. Seriously if you can see your way financially to get at least 2 implants and have your denture modified with snaps to hold the denture in place it will not move and glue will be a thing of the past. Regular sized implants are best for biting strength but they are having terrific results with mini implants and they are less expensive.

The kind I have are uppers and lowers and attached to with screws but I have many friends with the snap on denture kind.

This website: http://www.grayhawkprosthodontics.com/case.html

Look at it. Scroll down to the bottom, there is the type of denture I am talking about

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

About a month ago, I got my few lower teeth removed and got a lower plate. I had a lot of trouble healing from the extractions but have been able to wear the plate for the past week or so. I still don't enjoy eating because they are still not comfortable. I know I have to build up...

Source(s): secure denture upper plate 10 years: https://bitly.im/7Mk3K
  • strate

Lower Dentures

• CDA~NY

Your gums are shrinking from the extractions, and will do so for about the next six months or so... You do not build up calluses.. the denture should fit rather well in the areas that there weren't any teeth, since no shrinkage is involved.

Lower dentures never fit as well as upper ones, since they don't have the palate to help with additional suction...

Don't apply the adhesive to the entire denture, only to the areas that coincide where there were once teeth. You should have a more snug fit. Also, have you been back to the dentist for adjustments to the denture? That will help it fit better as well.

You'll need a reline appointment in about 5 months or so, once the gums have finished shrinking and you have healed completely from the extractions.

Best of luck with your new denture! And don't get discouraged... you'll be just fine!

Source(s): RDA
    • Elizabeth5 years agoReport

Thanks its been 6 months since my teeth were PRIED out-hopefully with an adjustment they will stay down. Tops are great,lowers pop loose when I eat anything.

Well, welcome to the world of lower dentures. A lower denture will NEVER fit like an upper as it has no suction. You must hold it in with your cheeks and tongue. Try placing your tongue behind the lower front teeth when you chew (I make a mark there for the tongue to find when I do a lower) and then place the food on both sides of your mouth to chew up and down. A denture is about 25% as efficient as real teeth so you must now chew food 4x to = 1x with natural teeth. If you can afford it you need to see about implants. They will hold the denture in place and you will be very happy. Good luck!

Source(s): I am a DDS.

Bottom Dentures

Bottom plates are always difficult.

Go back to your dentist and tell him of your problem. He can reline your denture to make it fit better. He can also grind off areas that are bothering you.

This may take several visits and take some time. Do not be afraid to go back and ask for a better fitting. That should be included in what you already paid.

By the way, I am not a DDS but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Select once.

Good luck

It's a pain in the butt. The best denture fix I've tried is Polygrip Ultra. The Polygrip strips aren't bad either, and they don't ooze. I've never tried them, but the Seabond cushioned pads are meant to be good.

I wish I had an answer,for my lower denture is miserable and I wish I never allowed the dentist to convince me to have the lower denture.good luck with your problem.

had posts put in to secure denture. But now many years later will not hold it down. What do I do now? It was costly then now cannot afford it again. What do I do to fix it?