Can you jump a motorcycle with a dead battery off a pickup truck?

My friend has a 1977 Honda CB550 with a dead battery and instead of getting a new battery we were going to try jumping it. I have a GMC Sierra 1500. Would this work or will we blow up the motorcycle?

Favorite Answer

If your motorcycle uses a 12V battery, you should be able to jump your motorcycle off the truck's battery. Do NOT have the truck running! Your motorcycle's regulator will almost certainly burn out if you try that.

I am assuming your motorcycle is electric start. If it has a kickstarter, don't bother jumping your motorcycle. Use the kickstarter. LOL.

We don't give negatives. If it can be done, we say so, with all the precautions neccessary.

Leave the engine off. There is no need of the added output from your truck's alternator. The motorcycle's starting system will only draw the same amount as it normally does from it's own battery.

Watch the clamps. Tight spaces make it easier to short.

Would be better to pull and charge the battery, if possible.

If it won't take a charge, it'll hurt the bikes electrics.

Source(s): I have jump started every motorcycle I ever had. Including the all-electronic HD.

people like to give negatives to the anti jump people.

Here's the deal. If you have the truck OFF and do it, you will likely be OK. even though the cold cranking amps are higher on the truck batt.

now. From personal experience, I have ruined a battery and risked other problems by getting a jump from a running van.

Now, I use a battery tender or recharger to do this. Once bitten twice shy.

For all of you:

der...it's 12 volt to 12 volt. I'll have you know that there is not any kind of 12 volt limiter on those things, so a running truck can crank out some sh*t. I'm ready for the negative.

there are people that really like to give negatives on this one. I'd like to take the batt. that I trashed back in the day and throw it against their head...knock some sence into them.

the guy above my answer is the top contributor to yahoo answers> motorcycles FYI

• strech

Well, instead of guessing, let me give you some personal experience!

I have a 107 ci S&S, and twice I've had to jump it with my GMC Sierra, with no ill effects.

No problem. Your bike is only going to draw the amount of amps that it needs to start.

Your bike is "sucking" amperage from your truck's battery.

Your truck's battery isn't "spitting" amperage

to your bike. LOL

But if the truck was running, it's charging system would oversend power to your bike and cause damage.

You can, but there is always a risk jumping one battery with another.

Why not push start it ?

Turn the key on and place the bike in second gear.

Pull in the clutch then get it rolling and pop the clutch.

Yes you can, just leave the truck off. But, you do know you can push start a bike. I have pushed started about every kind in my life to include modern sportbikes, dirtbikes, and cruisers.

• renume

YES,...you can do this as long as the truck and the bike are both 12 volt systems (they should be) Good Luck! Rob in Pa.

sure no problem, do it all the time,just don't do it on a new bike with efi,you ll be buying a new controller

• Josh

No! Way to big of a battery. Get a charger and charge it up. Or else let a motorcycle shop jump it off a machine. You'll short it out if you jump it off the truck.

Source(s): Learned the hard way with a Sportster and a Silverado.