Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 1 decade ago

are gerbils good pets???

i really wanna get a gerbil but my dads not a big animal person. can n-e body tell me 1.if gerbils are good pets, and 2. if u guyz have any ideas how 2 convince my dad 2 let me get 1?!!!

Favorite Answer

they are EXELLENT! wayy better than hamsters. they dont smell or bite. and no you can NEVER put a gerbil alone. thats cruel. i have 2 and they are soo cute :] one is Taz & one is Remy :] i love them so much. ive had them bout a month and they are good boys. i hope you get one! oh and here is some good convincing advice:

tell them to give you a chance. and that they will never know unless they give you a chance. also tell them you want to be a vet...seriously it could work!

1-Do all your homework and clean up and do chores BEFORE your parents ask.

2-be very nice and dont nag them at all, mabye once or twice but thats it. cause parents dont like to hear "PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ?! WAHHHH" all the time.

3- do alot of research and show how much you really want one.

4- get really cute and funny pictures of the internet that they will like.

5- after all that, gather them around and do a presentation (slide show, poster, ect.) then see what they say.

i hope it works! Good Luck!

Source(s): i have 2

Are Gerbils Good Pets

I'm pretty sure they live about the same and a gerbil is faster. BUT, from experience, a rat is a MUCH better pet. All of my gerbils have been mean things I have regretted and not wanted to hold. My rat, Tetris, has been awesome. He is going on 3 years and is clean, neat, DOES NOT SMELL, nicer, and an all around better pet. He sits on my shoulder or in a hoodie pocket and just chills. He has been better then ANY gerbil I have ever had!

Gerbils are great pets but do better in pairs of at least two of the same sex. Keeping one alone can cause it to be lonely even if you do spend a lot of time with them. Also, they are up at all hours of the day, active during the day and at night. They also need special care, you will need to either get a pure metal cage (no plastic at all on it) because gerbils will chew out of a plastic cage, or a 10 gallon aquarium (minimum). If you put them in an aquarium you will need a fitted lid because they can jump out if given the opportunity. Also, they will need a wheel, and since they chew so much it would need to be a metal wheel.

Not only are gerbils very active but they chew... a lot! I have to constantly buy new chew toys for my gerbil because he will chew through every new toy I get him in a matter of a few days. Also, gerbils dont like to sit still, most gerbils when held do not stay in one place because they basicly have better things to do, places to go, people to see, things to chew.

If that sounds like the right pet for you, then go for it. Otherwise if you want a more calm pet try a hamster since they can be kept on their own.

As to how to convince your dad, simply show him that you are responsible enough. Do chores around the house to save money to buy everything that you need. Keep your room clean, do the dishes. Also, do research, find as much information as possible and read it all, then present it to your father in an educated manner. Tell him about their personality, how it will show you how to be more responsible, how they are great pets, their cost, etc.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

are gerbils good pets???

Source(s): gerbils good pets: https://shortly.im/oeYAT

gerbils make GREAT pets.

gerbils, albeit cute and funny to watch, can be some work..cleaning, feeding,up all night, sleep all day.. not the cuddliest...and make sure if he does come around and agree..just get ONE!!!! Personally, I think guinea pigs are better..just as much work but they have more personality..good luck...