How does an electronic delay timer (solid state) work?

You know, those 2" by 2" by 3/4" (WAGNER hockey puck) adjustable solid state timers? How do they work? Are they a capacitive resister? Sorry, I'm not much on electronic theory. Are they susceptable to voltage/current surge? Magnetic flux? Will that screw them up so they might instantly reset or infinite time out? I've got one in my furnace circuit, and I think that when the high voltage transformer for spark is energized it messes with the timer and I end up having to get them replaced every so often as they intermittantly fail.

Thanx!

Best Answer

There are two principles on which solid state timers work.

A) The not-so-precise ones work on the principle that a capacitor takes some time to get fully loaded up, and when you put a resistor in series, then it takes even longer. Make that resistor variable, and you can adjust the time.

B) The more precise ones use an internal oscillator that produces so-called clock pulses. An electronic circuit counts those pulses, and when there were "enough" (bases on what time you have set) then "time 's up".

• Aaron

1