Would loose wires from either the negative or positive terminals on a batter cause the wire to short?

and burn the insulation off of it?? that is what happened to me today when I was at a red light and when I started to go again, the truck jolted and died and I noticed smoke coming from underneath the hood and when I lifted it, I saw the smoke coming from the battery cable going to the negative. IT burned the... show more and burn the insulation off of it??

that is what happened to me today when I was at a red light and when I started to go again, the truck jolted and died and I noticed smoke coming from underneath the hood and when I lifted it, I saw the smoke coming from the battery cable going to the negative.

IT burned the insulation right off of it practically, but the truck started back up again and I drove it to a parts store and we changed the clamp around the terminal and re clamped the wires and put electrical tape around the wires.