AK suited or JJ? Which would you rather have?

Favorite Answer

No simple answer for this question. Pre-flop I would say JJ, and post-flop it would depend...

So here are all the factors that I would consider when considering when to play & how to play either of those hands:

1) The style of play of the other players sitting at that table. Is it an aggressive table, passive table, etc.

2) My position in relation to the button and the other players I would consider a threat. This relates to how much information do you have and how much is still unknown.

3) What type of game you are playing (eg limit holdem, no-limit, ect)

4) What is the action already been made (eg: I actually might fold both those hands to a very big pre-flop raise from a very solid player... especially in no-limit).

5) If post-flop - how my hand ranks based on the community cards already shown. (JJ not so great if A, K, or Q comes out on flop)

6) My mental condition. (eg: am I on tilt because I just lost a huge pot to some donkey, or am I alert and on top of my game). The moment I notice I'm upset I get up and take a walk or even leave if I cant shake it, because playing while you're on tilt is fatal... :)

These are the major considerations that at minimum must be considered to effectively play either of these two hands. And there are so many variables that there is absolutely no right way to play either hand.

The skill comes in being able to adapt to the specific situation at hand on the fly. And, this skill really comes from a combination of book knowledge (reading books on poker strategy) and experience (playing alot, alot, alot of poker).

But to answer you initial question I would rather have JJ pre-flop any day. It has a small (few percentage point advantage) over AK. And over many, many, many hands that few percentage points will pay off...

Source(s): Years of poker playing... lol

It's a "race". JJ is statistically better than AK suited, but JJ is also known as a "dying hand" vs. AK which is considered "Live cards", since this hand provides many more "outs" (meaning it'll catch more helping cards than JJ in the long run) Of course, it's still a crapshoot, but that's part of hold'em poker. Personally, I'd take the AK suited, and hope to god the flop (and subsequent cards) are either helping a flush draw (16-1 odds preflop) or catching the "overcard" (In 5 cards, you have a 29% chance of catching the AK or straight and flush draw. whereas only 8% chance of getting the third jack for the set.)

My guess this for Hold 'Em. Before the flop JJ are a favorite about 52% of the time over AK.

That is the short answer, both hands are underdogs to AA and KK and JJ is an underdog to QQ as well. JJ are vulnerable to anyone who holds an A,K,Q so if any of those hit you need to be careful. If the betting is heavy before the flop it might not be a bad idea to fold either hand depending on the situation.

• Rich

I think they are equal in my mind. I play them both the same. I will limp in, unless too many people are limping (then I raise). I take a peek at the flop, if it's a bad flop for me, then I fold. Both AK and JJ will either have a good flop or a bad one. It's not a good idea to play these hands as if they're AA. Interesting question...

ak suited better chances at everything!

Depends on many things. What game for starters.