Are Tattoo's Overrated?

I'm 35 years old and I've been wanting to get a tattoo for quite some time but I never knew what to get. I finally settled on getting my astrological symbol for Taurus.

But a lot of people have told me that tattoo's are overrated and a thing of the past. Is that true? Will I look stupid?

Please help....

Favorite Answer

some people say that because they are very popular these days and not just for "hardcore" punks/goths, whatnot anymore.

i see it this way..if you really want to get one, then get it. as long as what it is means A LOT to you, then who cares what anyone else thinks.

i like to tell people about mine because they represent important things about my life and identity..and they look pretty!

A tattoo can be many things, depending on the person. I personally think that if I lived my life by the opinions of others, I would have missed out on a lot of the fun I've had.

As for being overrated, yes the tattoo 'fad' comes and goes, depending on the year. But inking has been around long enough that archaeologists have found tattoos on Egyptian mummies. Getting an astrological sign is a safe bet, as that is not going to change any time soon! If you are still not quite sure, get it in a place that is covered when wearing your everyday clothes. Mine are not visible when I get dressed in the morning.

It really comes down to your choice. If you want it, and can afford it, go for it. If nothing else, you have something to show your co-workers when getting that morning cup of coffee from the breakroom. But be warned. After that first ink, you might want more. My first artist handed me the paper for after-care, and said, "welcome to the addiction!" He was right.

Source(s): Happy owner of several pieces of skin art.

Some people like to live their lives vicariously though others.

Some, like those who make the "overrated" comment, like to *not* live their lives through others. It makes them feel good to know they aren't the only ones who are too chicken to take chances, so they encourage others to hang back. Tattooing is hardly the only area this happens in.

(... which isn't the same as just not being into it, but those folks tend not to get all judgmental & talky. Like with some people stuck in the closet, the cowards either need to chill or accept their lack of cojones)

Anyhow, ignore them. What do *you* want?

Addendum: Olivia has a point, if only to a degree. A lot more folks are into tattoos than used to be, so it's probably a given that some get them for in the what are the wrong reasons. If you honestly cannot look yourself in the mirror & say it's for you and solely you, then perhaps it's best to pass.

Where have you been? Ever heard of Miami ink or LA ink, you need to watch more tv LOL. But seriously they are not overrated and they are going strong! I'm 33 and just got my first tattoo and i'm glad i did it's self expression, it's beauty, it's ART. But it's you body and your choice do your friends have tattoos? So how would they know? It's obvious you don't live in missouri. If you want it go for it we only live once!

Please don't get the tattoo for someone else! if you want one get one!

Placement is key be smart about it don't put it on your forehead!

Overrated... your 35 your already over rated! so don't worry! Hell I'm overrated and i'm not even 30 yet!

lol

live life for yourself not other expeations or other "Fads"

Ask a biker if a tattoo is overrated you'll get beat down

as a prep if tattoos are over rated and they will say it is!

there for overreated is in the eye of the beholder if you feel it is overrated then don't get it!

• Vera C

Tattoos being overrated are just the opinion of some people. I do not view tattoos are being trendy or something to do that is cool.

I have given much thought to all of the tattoos that I have designed and they all have very deep meaning to me and they tell my life story. I do not care if anybody else likes them or not.

If you really want a tattoo, you shouldn't worry about what other people think.

Source(s): I am currently designing my 28th tattoo. Oh, and I didn't get my first tattoo until I was 44.

I used to be positive that tattoos were not overrated, then I started spending time on here.

Now I'm not sure anymore...

I don't think tattoos are overrated. I think it is just a way of expressing yourself. If you want the Taurus sign on you for the rest of your life, go for it. I am planning my second and third right now :o)

Who cares what other people think. I personally think they are in style and have become more popular in lieu of shows like Miami Ink. I have 5 tattoos and I love them all. I can't wait to get my next one. I say go for it. You know, I worked with this lady who was like 60 who said she always wanted to get a tattoo, and that her older friend had just gotten one. She actually did! What counts is what YOU think. Not what WE think.

people have told you rthis because they dont want you to get a tattoo and put something on your skin that will stay there for ever and who knows if you will still like it next week or if you like the way the tattoo artist made it... anyway, you're a grown man... if you wanna get one that bad than go for it. who cares what others think, right?

Tattoo's are not "fads". They are a part of expressing yourself. The people claiming they are fads either have never had one or did it for the wrong reasons. This is a lifetime committment. Don't get it because you think it's cool or because everyone else is doing it. Get one (or 20) because they mean something to you.