Southern California resorts and spas?

I am trying to plan a honeymoon and considering southern California. I want a resort style hotel that is at least within walking distance to the beach. I would like there to be a spa. Within an hour or so drive from LA and Disneyland for possible excursions. I would like it to be mainly for adults, not families. We are trying to not go completely expensive either, so something nice, but on the lower end of the expenses (we can go all-inclusive to St. Lucia for $3000, so that is our price basis).

Favorite Answer

The challenge with SoCal is going to be cost.

Beach property here is very very expensive (1/10 acre lots - without home - go for $4m plus). This translates into hotels and resorts that are very, very nice (and almost all have spas), but generally very expensive.

Here are some nice places to explore which are on the beach and within an hour of D'land:

Top tier:

Montage (Laguna Beach) - right on its own semi-private beach.

Ritz Carlton (Dana Point) - above/on the beach

St. Regis (Dana Point) - not on beach, but very nice.

Next tier:

Marriott Resorts at Newport Bluffs (across PCH from a beautiful beach - Crystal Cove)

Hyatt Huntington Beach (across PCH from a classic California beach)

Hilton Waterfront Beach (next door to the Hyatt, above)

Surf and Sand (Laguna Beach - on the beach)

Lower cost ones I don't know personally, but may be worth research:

Balboa Inn, right on the beach in Newport (Balboa Peninsula). From the outside, this looks quite charming. No spa onsite, but there are more day spas in Newport Beach than you could visit in a year. It has a great location - near many activities. Don't know about the couples/family mix - maybe Trip Advisor has more data on it? (www.tripadvisor.com)

You may also want to consider San Diego which is quite lovely, many things to do and may have some resorts which are lower in cost, although these may be more family oriented. Try looking at places around Mission Bay.

Finally, keep in mind that all these places are in a much more upscale-but-not-inclusive environment than St. Lucia - it's a totally different kind of trip. You may want to first decide what kind of trip you prefer. This is definitely NOT off the beaten path.

I'm not sure about the pricing, but try the St. Regis in Dana Point, Ca. (Orange County.) Not only is it within walking distance to the most gorgeous white sand beach, they will even shuttle you down in golf carts. There is also the Montage in Laguna Beach, and the Ritz Carlton in Laguna Niguel, which over looks the gorgeous white sand beach and you can hear the waves from some of the guest rooms. Also consider renting a beach house, and going to a day spa, or having services come to you.

• Pat D

I concur with the Dana Point suggestions but want to add another option there, the Blue Lantern Inn, which is very nice, has spa facilities on campus, and is very close to the harbor. I stayed there once for a convention and loved it. It might be a little bit less expensive than the other choices...here's a link: http://www.bluelanterninn.com/specials.htm

Source(s): Stayed there

St. Regis at Monarch Beach is a gorgeous resort, with really nice spa facilities that can relax both of you after a stressful wedding.

• stig

The Montage in Laguna beach is probably the way to go for you. The St. Regis is excellent as well but not on the beach.

Amanda has some excellent suggestions. I would also add Fess Parker's Doubletree Resort, right by the beach in Santa Barbara.

Glen Ivy is nice. It's actually the only place I've been in So Cal

• Tommy

Don't even mess with LA. Go a bit south of there and you will enjoy it more. Irvine, Newport Beach area. LA reeks with suckieness