Super Freak, Can't Touch This... Der Kommissar?!?

: )

Ok, so M C Hammer took the hook from Rick James' "Super Freak" for "U Can't Touch This", right? I mean, that's pretty much common knowledge, I think.

But that hook is the exact same thing as the chorus of "Der Kommissar", no? I mean - "Don't turn around, uh-oh"...

And please don't rip me, I just think it's interesting and am wondering if anyone else ever noticed it. : )

Also, I often hear this song on the 80s station I listen to, 106.9 The Point (in Houston) but they never say if it's the Falco or After the Fire version - are there distinguishing characteristics of either one?

• Rckets
    Favorite Answer

You bring up a good point. I never noticed that before. I wouldn't say it's a carbon copy because the tempo of Der Kommissar is somewhat slower than M.C. Hammer. Still, they do have some melodic similarity. You have to figure that if M.C. borrowed from one artist, it's entirely possible he might have done the same with another song. Interesting that both songs came out around 1983.

I think it is plagiarism. After The Fire should have sued Rick James for making Super Freak which sounds

like a carbon copy of Der Kommissar.

You are correct about MC Hammer borrowing Rick James' riff from "Superfreak" for "U Can't Touch This," but neither James nor Falco knew about each other; the note timing is purely coincidence, and the actual pitch sequence separates after barely one measure. Falco, an Austrian, wrote "Der Komissar" as the overture of an SFD-TV crime drama that aired in Germany during the 1980's; the After The Fire cover version was an extremely rough translation.

Super Freak Mc Hammer

• LOL!!!! more than 30 years looking for what just a few minutes ago I know is "Der Kommissar" thinking if it was really exists or I be confuse with Super Freak or even You caný touch this!!!!!

I don't think Der Kommissar sounds anything like the others.

I agree they sound similar but not them same. I think the intro bass notes are the same but mid way through the hook Falco's song goes in a different direction.