What does Philippines stand for?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Juan C
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It's a beautiful country... that's all I can say...

diverse in culture, rich in traditions and history, gorgeous and exotic people, nice and wonderful beaches, a lot of great and a must-visit places, hospitable and respectful people, the cuisine is delicious, mixed Eastern and Western world, and a globally-competitive country...

and oh, they love to party, sing, and shop!!!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You mean the name Philippines?

The Philippines was named after Philip II, the King of Spain during the 16th century, when Ferdinand Magellan circumnavigated the world and discovered the islands in the Pacific. In Spanish, it is called Filipinas. In Tagalog, the language of the country, it is called Pilipinas.

• 1 decade ago

A country of eastern Asia consisting of the Philippine Islands, an archipelago in the western Pacific Ocean southeast of China. Inhabited by Malays and various indigenous groups, the islands were first sighted by Magellan's expedition in 1521 and were colonized by the Spanish after 1565. They came under U.S. control in 1898 after the Spanish-American War. A commonwealth was created in 1935 and full independence achieved in 1946. The islands were occupied by Japan during much of World War II. Political turmoil led to the dictatorship of Ferdinand Marcos after 1965 and his exile in 1986 following the election of Corazón Aquino. Manila is the capital and the largest city. Population: 89,500,000.

• 1 decade ago

It is my homeland.

It is a place which is very much like this page. Where people like Song Bird, Suzy, Bacon, See Double and Personal Insult and a little green Grouch can co-exist, have fun hurling tirades at one another, and still call one another brother/sister.

Personal Insult! Wheredya get your name? Dontya know better than attack a songbird? Who will sing for us now?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

My husband is half Fillipino, and he is sooo good looking. His family (originally from there) is very traditional. You have to put your head to their hand in greeting (to elders) and they give money to newborns for good luck. It's a neat culture. They also have a woman president. They are Asian mixed with Spanish, and typically have Spanish last names. As for what they stand for, I can't say.. but I am excited about visiting the country in the next few years.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Philippino people

Have

Intelligent

Love

Inspiration

Proud

Party people

I am not Chinese

Neither are you

Enjoy your shopping here in

SuperMalls[ SM ASIA MALL]

Source(s): lol...
  • 1 decade ago

Song Bird, You are so wrong! The population there is 89,500,001. I had a friend that just moved there. Check your source next time. I bet you don't even know what time of the day it was when Magellan discovered it. You make me laugh. Freakin' amateurs. I think they stand for child labor.

• guRl
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

stands for? It is not an acronym though...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

philipines stands for:

People

Hoping

I

Living

In the

Papal

Palace of

Italy

Nearly

Every

Sunday

Source(s): Strange questions, strange answer.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.