Tara C
Tara C asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

My daughter doesn't like chicken?

I know this is the oddest thing ever. She won't even eat it coated in ketchup. She eats seafood and fish, but I am allergic. Any ideas of lean meat recipes that I can make that aren't chicken. I am tired of making two different proteins every night.

Favorite Answer

Sometimes with kids, you have to be sneaky. When my son was little, he would eat hamburger, but not ground beef! He had a cow fetish, but when he asked me what hamburger was made of, I asked him what it sounded like. I didn't want to lie, but I couldn't afford to have him refusing to eat it.

You have to try your daughter on things that don't look like chicken. Try chicken salad, or nuggets. Just call them something else. If she's real little, you can probably get away with referring to them as "poultry." If she will eat turkey, call all chicken turkey instead. Try it cubed over salads, in fajitas, whatever you can think of that won't look like chicken. Stock up on boneless breasts when they are on sale (but store them where she isn't going to be looking, like a deep freeze, or the back of the freezer, if she can read or recognize them).

As an alternate protein source, just go looking in your grocer's meat case! There's the aforementioned turkey, lean beef, and pork is a very good alternative. Lean chops, pork roasts, even ham, etc. are all good choices. Experiment with veggie burgers or tofu for something different. Tofu is wonderful in a stir-fry! Don't forget meatless meals! Spaghetti, beans, etc are usually well accepted.

If you want chicken, have it. You could nuke your daughter some fish sticks, a hot dog, or something, or just give her an extra helping of veggies. That's what I would do when my son wanted to be picky. "You don't have to eat that, but you have to eat an extra portion of veggies to make up for it." He didn't mind eating his vegetables, so it wasn't like a punishment. It was just getting a healthy meal in him without a struggle.

It's highly possible your daughter heard someone say they didn't like chicken. Little kids copy adults. If you say you don't like something, they suddenly won't like it either. My daughter loved tomatoes until she overheard me saying I didn't like them, she hasn't touched them since! I know someone whose daughter lives on chicken nuggets, bananas, and junk food! Her father hates all vegetables, and her mother hates most meat! So you really have to be careful what you say about food likes and dislikes around little kids!

Sorry my answer is so long. Hope I've given you some useful ideas. Good luck!

Source(s): experience

My daughter's only 7 weeks, so I'm not at this point yet. I have no intention of having her vaccinated against chicken pox though. I don't understand why they've started. Having chicken pox when you're young protects you from shingles when you're older. Though chicken pox is uncomfortable, it's far from a life threatening illness. I'm only in my early 20s, and I remember that everyone always got it when I was younger. But it lasted just a few days, sometimes a week, and then everything was okay. We just soaked ourselves in calamine lotions and tried not to scratch ourselves silly. I think vaccinations are out of hand.... Especially considering your child was able to catch chicken pox WHILE being vaccinated. As for bringing it into the daycare... it's highly likely that is where she got it from to begin with. If others come up with chicken pox, I wouldn't feel bad. Its more an inconvience than anything else. EDIT: Thanks for the person who pointed out my shingles mistake. When I was younger, my grandfather got a horrible case of shingles. I remember my parents saying it was because he never had the chicken pox. I misunderstood how the connection worked.

give her beans, they are lean protien, and are soooo nutritious, or tofu, try making a cassarole with chicken chopped really fine like this one!

1 can cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom

1/2 cup milk

1/3 cup grated Parmesan Cheese

dash of pepper

3 cups cooked medium egg noodles

2 cups finely chopped, cooked chicken

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and pour the mixture into a greased 9x2x2 inch pan.

3. Cover with foil and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until warm.

4. Uncover and top with potato chip crumbs. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve with a tossed salad, a vegetable, or dinner rolls.

Based on individual serving.

Calories: 360

Total Fat: 14 g

Carbohydrates: 34 g

Protein: 23 g

Its really easy, she prolly just wants to be differerent. give her this recipe and she won't even know it chicken! God Bless

My daughter is 13 and never liked chicken,ketchup, spaghetti,or PBJ. That was challenging when she was young because I assumed all children liked those things, she would rather have fresh salads, or butter pasta noodles. She may not want any meat, try other fruits and vegetables, nuts.Look on line for veggie meals, might be helpful.

Try "Lamb pastrami", because lamb is the healthiest meat that there is, right after fish. When cooked properly it also tastes heavenly. Try Arabic dishes, based on lamb. I can also recommend some spices to go along with it: paprika, parsley, rosemary and dill. If you want more, e-mail me and I'll send you some recipes.

how old is your daughter?

i suggest following the chicken nuggets experience -- kids like nuggets because they are a good size for kids to pick up, they don't have to use untensils (that are made for adult hands), and they can have fun dipping them.

try cutting it up nugget sized and find a sauce she likes -- ketchup isn't her thing obviously. take her to the store and let her pick out something. kids like to be part of the process sometimes too -- then its their choice and not something forced on them. when i was a kid i couldn't get enough french dressing.

• KD

Are you sure she just isn't trying to be different?

What about pork with the fat trimmed? There are lean cuts.

Also, vegetarian options are good like tofu or nut roast.

Pork, turkey or beef.

Try making it in casseroles where it's really finely shredded, and simply don't tell her it's got chicken in it.

Or you could do what my mom did (and what I did for my husband.) Make it in every way possible, and require that she eat it whether she likes it or not. Turns out, my husband, who started out our marriage not liking chicken at all ended up liking it fixed some ways.

Turkey, beans or cuts of lean pork

Veal shoulder....these are not expensive and cooks up almost like a steak. Season them like you would chicken and either grill or pan saute.