Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMathematics · 1 decade ago

Quick math question?

How do I figure out the median of 49 consecutive integers that add up to a certain large number?

I have a good calculator and i think there's a button that does it, but I forget which?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

This is actually simple. Just divide the large number by 49 and you have your answer. The number you get will be the 25th number in the list, which will be the median. If you have an even number of integers, the number you get will not be in the list, but it will be the true median, but better referred to as the mean of this series of numbers.

The median of any list of consecutive integers is always their sum divided by how many there are. This is aso the mean of this set of numbers.

By the way, if the set is NOT consecutive numbers, but is instead an arithmetic sequence, this will still work.

If the numbers are 3,6,9,12,15 their sum is 45. And 45 / 5 STILL finds the median of 9 (which is also the mean).

The mean and median differ when the numbers are not consecutive or are not an arithmetic sequence.

The mode kicks in when there are repeated numbers in the list, where the mean, median and mode are often all different values.

• 1 decade ago

I don't think there are any buttons in calculator for calculating median. Median is different to average, do not calculate it by adding them up and then divide it by 19. It's the middle number in a set of data, so since you have 49 consecutive integers, the 25th number is the median.

• 1 decade ago

Actually, the median would be the number in the middle of the sequence. The MEAN would be the sum of the 49 integers divided by 49.

• 1 decade ago

Rusty has it. The median has the same number of integers above and below. What they're describing above is the mean (average) not the same thing.

For example, the median of 2, 6, 10, 22 and 40 is 10 but the average is 18.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

since its 49 integers lets name the median x

which is the 25th term

the 24th term is x-1 the 26th term is x+1 and so on...

so

the first term is x-24 the second is x-23... the 48th is x+23 the 49th is x+24 adding al elements/integers

x-24+x-23+x-22....+x+.....+x+22+x+23+x+24

we can cancel all integers and we get 49x only

so x is the median and the sum is 49x

so median is sum/49 which is also the mean(sum over no. of terms)

• 1 decade ago

The median number is different than calculating the average number. It is the middle number in a list of numbers. To find the median number out of 49, arrange the numbers from lowest (1st) to the highest (49th), then you pick the 25th number in the list. 24 numbers will be lower than this number (1st through 24th) and 24 will be higher (26th through 49th). The beauty of this is you do not have to use a calculator.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

median is the number in the middle of all your numbers

meaning if i had

1, 2, 3

2 would be my median

if i had

2, 4, 6, 8

5 would be my median

you can also do 1/2 medians

• 1 decade ago

If you divide it by 49, you'll get the median.

• WC
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

You enter each number and when you added them all, divide the sum by 49.

• 1 decade ago

Are you able to do it in the first place?

If you don't have the "large number", you can't solve it.

At least that's what I think.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.