Someone insists that when hard-boiling eggs, if you add some salt to the water, the eggs won't crack???

True or false?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Cracking depends on the shell condition. Sometimes the hen does not make as thick a shell. Salt will raise the boiling point. If you put them in cold water and boil them on a soft boil they will be less likely to crack.

Source(s): father-in-law had an egg ranch.
  • 1 decade ago

VINEGAR is what you want to use if you want a little protection for your boiling eggs (first link)

I'm not sure who said it earlier, but it is true that salt keeps things cooler (at first). As a catalyst, it lowers the temperature at which water will begin to boil. The water will boil in less time, and the salt will also make the egg easier to peel (second link). At the same time though, even though the water boils faster doesn't mean it's done heating once it gets to the boil, and boiling an egg too fast in hot water induces cracking (also first link). So if you're going to add salt, I wouldn't put too much.

Ketone needs to brush up on catalysts, so I've added a few links about that as well. I like the "Catalysts and reaction energetics" section of the wikipedia page. Basically the salt allows the water to more efficiently use the energy applied to the solution without being chemically altered itself, thereby making the water boil faster.

But yeah...to answer your question, you'd be better off with vinegar to help prevent cracking/leaking.

• 1 decade ago

The only thing salt does is soften the water and causes a more rapid boil. If you would like to boil eggs without cracking them. Fill pot with wather and place on stove. BEFORE you turn the stove on place the eggs in the cold water then boil. After that, the only reason they crack is if they are over cooked.

• kja63
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

False.

They crack when a chilled egg straight from the fridge meets up with boiling water.

When boiling eggs, make sure they are room temperature. Then, place them on a spoon and carefully place them into the boiling water. Dropping them in will cause cracks as well.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

first till now answering the question , Kimberle its " voila " not " viola " , besides , lower back to the subject remember , it does enhance the boiling factor of water , yet no so the egg could be cooked swifter , properly thats yet another benefit , however the factor of raising the water boiling factor , is that egg incorporates proteins , proteins dont get " cooked " , they coagulate , yet they like extreme temperature to realize this , if salt isnt added then the water could start up evaporating till now that yellow ingredient interior the egg gets properly cooked , have u ever observed how if u take the egg a splash in the previous that yellow ingredient ( sry yet i dont comprehend what its stated as ) could nonetheless be liquid , so raising the water boiling factor is critical in assessment to what others stated over here " what does raising the water boiling factor has to do with it "

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I don't know about that but adding salt to water makes it boil faster.

I learned how to boil eggs and not get that yucky green muck around the yolk. You put cold water in the pan, add the eggs, get the water to the boiling point, shut the heat off, remove the pan from the heat, put a cover on it and let it set about 25 minutes. rinse them in cold water. they are super easy to peel and no green yucky stuff!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It is not so much that the egg won't crack but if it did the egg white won't leak out all over the pot. The higher temperature of the salty water hardens the albumin so it plugs the crack.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

True

But you should also put the eggs in the water before it starts boiling, that helps too.

• 1 decade ago

Salt helps lower the boiling point, much like salt in ice water will help keep things cooler.

• 1 decade ago

It's true, and it also helps in peeling the eggs.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.