What kind of teacher would have children reading about euthanizing an infant in 7th grade. Poynette WI does?

The teachers here have 7th and 8th graders reading books that is very descriptive about like the above. That book tells how a boy watches his father inject the needle into the infants forehead because the veins in the arms are to small and how the baby jerks and cries and then lays still stares off with glassy eyes and watches his father dispose of the baby. Another book describes dog weaseling, pig copulation and slaughtering a pet pig, all very descriptive. My son and I cried. Why would teachers force this stuff on kids and then wear a catholic necklace? These books won awards in 1972 and 73 but wasn't smoking at 16 legal, drinking at 18 and marijuana and LSD and sex with anyone was ok. But 30 some years later teachers still have kids reading these books even though they are #14 and #17 on the top 100 challenged books that should be banned. What could a teacher be thinking? Is it no wonder kids are mixed up these days when reading like this is supported by a school

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Hmmm. Maybe a *good* teacher?

How would *you* teach about euthanasia? Would you pass out propaganda from the people who think abortion should be illegal, because babies are a way for God to punish people for having sex?

Where were *you* in 1972? Were you so out-of-it on dope that you have no recollection of what was going on?

In 1972, it was illegal in most states for a someone under 21 to buy cigs.

In 1972, it was illegal in most states for someone under 21 to buy wine or liquor.

In 1972, people in most states got 30 year sentences for possession of marijuana.

In 1972, people in most states got life sentences for possession of LSD.

In 1972, in most states, sex between consenting adults was not yet presumptively legal.

You're upset because your son cried when the baby died. You would rather he joyfully dance a jig?

Take a look at the 100 most challenged books. They include old classics like Huckleberry Finn, where Mark Twain makes fun of those who find support for slavery in the Bible. They include new classics like A Wrinkle in Time, where Madelaine L'Engle suggests that love of family members might help one overcome great adversity. They include Flowers for Algernon, in which the reader is asked to have compassion for those who lose their minds.

Gack! You wouldn't want to have your kid exposed to any of *those* concepts, would you?

I think the teacher ought to receive a bonus from the school board, because she's not just educating her students, but she's waking up the occasional parent as well.

Even if you happen to be incredibly grumpy to be awakened.

• oj
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

You are talking about "The Giver," I'm assuming. These books are (rightly) taught by teachers because they provoke discussion. The rest of the books you mention seem to describe things common on a family farm, which many children see and understand at much younger ages than your son. With regard to the "The Giver," you say it made your son cry. Why? Was he upset that the father was committing murder? That the baby was going to miss out on life? That the other son had to "witness" it? All these questions should be discussed with your son. Also, talk about why the society in which it happened found this act acceptable. How is it different from our society, and what indications are there in our society that this may or may not ever become acceptable (ie. euthanization of terminally ill people, etc.). Teachers spend years in school and continue to learn throughout their careers, and in general, they know what they're doing. If you are concerned, ask your son's teacher what issues they are discussing in class regarding the book, and mention any you may discussing with him at home. Use this as a learning experience, and remember that no book should be banned. Even those promoting points of view you find unacceptable (ie. racism, etc) provoke discussion, and give you the opportunity to explain, and better understand yourself, the reasons you find this point of view unacceptable.

• 1 decade ago

i loved the giver! thats a great book! look u have to figure this out someday- not every book you are going to read in school is about fluffy bunnies. in 8th grade we read the diary of anne frank, and i would say it was alot worse than the giver, a childerns book. i mean, anne frank was about the holocaust, it had religious stuff and it was certinaly not happy. then, 9th grade we read frankenstine, which describes loads more creepy stuff then anything else. c wat i mean? the giver has a paragraph describing the killing of these babies, but its a major plot point. *spolier warning* its when the main character figures out everything hes been told is a lie.

• 1 decade ago

I would not allow my child to attend that class anymore. They don't need to be discussing this in class. If my kids need to know about euthanasia, we will discuss it as a family. The schools need to teach writing and arithmatic. I understand critical thinking is important as well, but they could have come up with a better topic for this age group. Save these topics til late high school or college.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.