Essay Help? Could someone plz quickly read thru my essay and give me some brief comments? Thanx heapz!?

The Many Traditional and Alternate Ways in Which the World Is Represented in the Class Novel Pride and Prejudice

In Pride and Prejudice, the title boldly reveals the underlying theme highlighted in the novel – how pride and prejudice blinds one from realizing their true identity. This classic novel by Jane Austen analyses and examines the intimate details of love, marriage, pride, prejudice, first impressions, and mistaken identity in great depth. Through the discourses, the author promotes values attitudes, beliefs, and ideologies and constructs the main characters in ways to bring certain opinionated views across to the audience in an indirect way. This novel reflects realistic representations of the traditional world and evokes several alternate opinions and views in order to display theme.

To begin with, one of the main themes that are interwoven throughout the entire novel is the value of love and marriage. The famous opening statement unmistakeably sets the theme:

“It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.” This statement remains true to this day, which is one reason why Jane Austen’s works are undeniably realistic. One of the beliefs raised is that a man, although he may be financially wealthy, will be lacking if he does not have a wife.

In Pride and Prejudice, Darcy and Bingley are portrayed as the rich men who are visiting the village where the Bennets live, and Mr. and Mrs. Bennet have five unwedded daughters. Although Mr. Bennet hardly considers the matter, Mrs. Bennet becomes all frantic and excited and sees the “flashing lights” as being the perfect opportunity to marry off her daughters. She tries to arrange plans and wants her husband to greet the newcomers to spread the news about her unmarried daughters.

She suggests Jane, the eldest, to take good note of Mr. Bingley, and when she is invited to meet with Bingley, Mrs. Bennet advises that she go by horseback in hope that she will get ill and extend her stay, which is exactly what happened!

Later Mr. Collins, Mr. Bennet’s cousin, visits the Longbourn village where the Bennet’s live and intends to propose to Jane, but Mrs. Bennet informs him that Jane is soon to be engaged, so he changes his target to Elizabeth. However, Lizzy refuses the proposal, although Mrs. Bennet views Collins as a successful Reverend with a prosperous future who would be a good choice for Elizabeth. In contrast to Mrs. Bennet, Mr. Bennet approves of Lizzy’s refusal and does not force the marriage on her, but wants to allow it to come naturally.

In this way, the author is trying to portray a traditional, realistic mother who is desperate to marry her daughters off because she is afraid that the family will be left penniless in an uncomfortable life when Mr. Bennet dies. Her concern for her children is classic; however, the character of Mr. Bennet portrays an alternate ideology in that he does have some concern for his daughters, but he is the type of person who does not want to force marriage, since love should not be forced.

Another theme shown in the novel is that pride and prejudice hinders one from realizing their true identity. This was true for both Elizabeth and Darcy. Darcy alienated himself from the others at first because of his intense pride. He acted in such an arrogant and superior manner at the first ball with the Bennets that they were all turned off by his behaviour.

Elizabeth’s prejudice against Darcy came from his arrogance, which caused her to believe the lies that Wickham told her and not to realize his true feelings for her. Prejudice was also an issue for Darcy at first in that he disliked Elizabeth because of her low social status, poverty, and socially inept family. Even after he fell in love with her and proposed to her, he completely debased her family. Although it was not easy for him, Darcy eventually realized his behaviour, overcame his pride, and gave in to his feelings by marrying her in spite of her and her family’s shortcomings.

First impressions also tie into the mistaken identity of both Elizabeth and Darcy. Elizabeth’s first impressions of the characters in the novel are accurate about half of the time; however, she is not correct about Wickham and Darcy.

Although her assumptions about Mr. Collins’s ridiculously self-serving character and Lady Catherine’s proud, selfish personality are correct, her views of Wickham and Darcy are not. She, including everyone else, is fooled by Wickham’s easy matter, good looks, and gentleman behaviour, when later, she discovers that he lied about Darcy, and her first impressions of him are contradicted. Darcy, on the other hand, although seemingly proud, is mistaken for being a snobbish, arrogant person; however, when he falls in love with Liz, his pride begins to vanish, and his true identity emerges.

Similarly, Elizabeth has her own issues in which to deal with. She becomes cold and indifferent towards Darcy, all because of her own prejudice towards his pride. However, it took much longer for her to overcome her own prejudices than it did for Darcy to overcome his pride.

Jane Austen describes Lizzy as a protective and defensive person, especially when it comes to issues regarding her family, but when she realizes and confesses her own mistakes, she begins to accept Darcy into her life. Darcy’s pride in himself and prejudice in Elizabeth vanishes when he discovers his love for her; and thus is true identity is revealed. In the end, all the pride and prejudice was dealt with, and Darcy and Elizabeth were left together in love.

In conclusion, Jane Austen’s famous romance novel Pride and Prejudice is different from every other novel because, rather than focusing on the intimate details of romance between the couple, she portrays realistic themes on pride and prejudice, love and marriage, mistaken identity, and first impressions. There are several other themes such as class, gender, morality, and family.

However, the main theme in which the author promotes through her discourses is that basing opinions on first impressions does not tell everything about the person. It can even put a barrier between relationships and cause an individual not to realize the other person’s true identity. Admitting one’s own weakness before looking at the other person’s fault is a definite value that is promoted in the novel. Both Elizabeth and Darcy were examining each other’s faults, yet they had their own faults to start with, but it was not until Lizzy recognized her error of prejudice, and Darcy, his error of pride, that the both of them experienced true love and commitment.

-------------------------------------------------

So this is my essay...could u plz let me know if there's anything i need to fix up! Thanx a lot! :)

Favorite Answer

lol..i wish i know the story to help you better with that.!

haha..but overall it's great and it's good!..

don't worry about what others said..it's great..you started and ended your whole novel well Vic!

good luck..and take care!

Very good. However it still wreaks of high school essay. If I may make a recommendation, next time you write, try to sound less like a girl telling gossip. For example: "Then ricky said this, and this made her angry, and it was because of this that suzie realized she was in love with him, and then they were all confused because ricky wanted jessie, but suzie ricky, so then they all fought!"

Don't get me wrong, this is an absolute exaggeration of what you wrote. However, it was an example of what not to do, and of what to steer clear away from, and unfortunately there were times where I heard this in your writing.

You have a very well structured conclusion which is of utmost importance, however your introduction could be a little bit stronger. Instead of listing off emotions and substantives, is there something they all have in common? And isn't this rather bombastic?

'...ways to bring certain opinionated views across to the audience in an indirect way.'

I like what you do, and I would definitely give you an A, I'm sure your teacher has to read gobs of horrible essays and yours is far from horrible. It's quite good actually, and very thorough. However, and I mean to be taken with a grain of salt, unless of course you're striving to be a writer, put a little more distance to the events, and unless you're trying to make me feel like I was there, don't describe everything to me as if I was.

For example, instead of saying how 'then ricky did this which made charlotte do that...which was really bad at the sailing tournament' try,

By this point, Ricky's attitude towards the matter began causing tension within his relationship to Charlotte, reaching a pinnacle (or high point or was strongest or whatever) when they met again at A (not THE, i wasn't there so I don't know what 'the' is) sailing tournament.

My point is to elaborate. Describe the events as if I don't know a single character, or of a single event, or of a single town. That way your writing will be accessible to everyone.

I know this is a silly book report, and amounts to a hill of beans, so for that, I say again, great job. If you want honest critique, I gave it. Take it with whatever weight you please. I'm used to dry scientific writing so I'm biased, however it IS good to try and describe things from a more objective point of view.

Good luck. Hopefully anything I wrote helps you in the future, if not, good luck still!