Political prisoners?

What kind of questions can you ask political prisoners?

I am going to a meeting tomorrow which freed political prisoners from Ethiopia are holding. I wanted to ask questions but Im worried I may look a little silly and outside my league as Im not an intellectual or anything. What kind of questions do you ask? They were imprisoned for fighting for democracy for Ethiopia. They had won an election but the goverment threw them in prison for treason. They have now been freed due to American intervention.

Help, Im so eager but dont have the brains. questions please :-)

• John T
    Favorite Answer

The Best Advice is to sit back and LISTEN. They've experienced things you never will (hopefully) in an area of the world very different from anything you have experienced. In the course of listening (most people spend most of their time trying to come up with something to say rather than listening to what others are saying), some questions may arise in your mind. Write them down and keep listening so you don't get sidetracked and miss other pertinent questions that may arise.

• Bambi

Ask them if their cause was worth their suffering.

Are Ethiopians better prepared to set up a democracy than they were 10 years ago?

Were their families harmed by their inprisonment?