Why are electric guitar so heavy?

If they don't work by having the air echoing inside like a regular acoustic guitar, why are they so heavy and have a guitar shape? Why don't they just make the neck part and thats it?

Favorite Answer

They still need the wood to resonate some of the sound. Go to a Guitar shop and listen to a cheap no name electric and then a strat or les paul through the same amp and you will see. They are heavy because of the type and amount of wood that used during there construction.

Not all electric guitars are heavy. It depends on the make and model of the guitar. I have a 1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom and that thing is VERY heavy because it's made out of a chunk of solid mahogany and an arched maple top. The type of wood has a lot to do with the sound, and my Les Paul has a GREAT sound. I also have a Squier Stagemaster, which is made by Fender, and that thing is very light in comparison to my Les Paul.

You asked why they don't just make the neck part -- there are some electrics out there like that. Have you ever seen an old Steinberger guitar? It's just a neck and a little box on the bottom where the electronics are. They were big in the '80's but I don't think they make them anymore. I'm guessing guitar players are used to the "traditional" body styles and shapes of electric guitars.

Source(s): Guitar player (electric and acoustic) for 30+ years
  • R W

they dont have to be, just leftover designs -and personna - from the 50s& 60s....actually Yamaha and others are making light frames that are not more than pickups and the neck....some dont even use magnetic pickups anymore, now they use fiberoptics...