Does anyone know what i need to remove to be able to extract the starter from a '97 toyota 4 runner?

I took off the starter but now i cant get it out. its trapped within a cage of other components. From the bottom of the vehicle i tried moving the oil dipstick and an axle grease line but it still would not budge. Any ideas???

• br549
    Favorite Answer

It will come out without removing anything else. Just takes some "positioning." I did one yesterday.

BTW, that starter is a "gear reduction" type. They rarely fail, but the contacts in the solenoid do wear down a lot. If yours is (or was) just clicking, then may or may not start, it probably has burned contacts. The main battery contact is always worn the worst.

The parts house I use carries the contact replacements, but I have brazed them back up myself. When you get your starter off, remove the rear cover on the solenoid (it's shaped kinda lik home plate), pull out the plunger and spring, and you will see the worn contacts in the solenoid body.

Costs me $5.00 to repair one, new or re-man staters can go as much as $200.00!

take the bolts out of your motor mounts and jack the motor up a little to get the starter free. good luck!

I think on that truck you have to drop exhaust pipe.