Is "Costa Rican" considered "Hispanic"?

My friend is married to a man whos family is from Costa Rica, my Husbands family is from Mexico. I made a comment about both of our Husbands being "Hispanic" and how pretty our children were. She told me that her Husband is not "Hispanic", he is "Costa Rican". Isn't "Costa Rican" actually considered "Hispanic"?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Costa Rica is a Spanish Speaking country in Central America.

Ultimately anyone in Mexico, Central & South America is descended, at least in part, from Spaniards.

I would say yes, the term Hispanic, or Latino (probably a better choice for both) is correct.

Costa Ricans tend to refer to themselves as "Ticos".

• RIck T
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Well, it generally is (since it is part of Spanish-speaking Central America), but perhaps her husband is part of the indigenous population of Costa Rica.

"On December, 1977, the government passed a law which established the Indian reserves. It gave the natives the right to stay in self-governed communities, but at the same time the government withheld the land titles."

Still, Costa Rica is described as mostly populated by the Spaniards and had few, scattered tribes of natives unlike Mexico and other Spanish-colonized countries which had large native civilizations to conquer. She might be under the impression that you meant Spanish by the word Hispanic, or resent the word for similar reasons.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The term Hispanic is someone from a Latin speaking country right? So technically-Yes, he is Hispanic. People in Costa Rica speak Spanish.

• 1 decade ago

There is no "standard" thing that he needs to be called. While most of the world views anyone from South and Central America as Latinos or Hispanics, he may not identify with that title.

There are other options such as South American, Central American and Latin American that people from Central and South America sometimes prefer. However, preferring to be called Costa Rican is nothing other than pride in your country of origin.

It is a bit insulting to them. Imagine how Americans would feel if we were lumped together with Canadians any time they were referenced. Americans identify with their country, not anyone else's.

Source(s): www.danay.net
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I believe that anyone who comes from a Latin American country are called Latinos. But the same would be if they would come from any spanish speaking country. Another term that would be correct (my opinion) "hispanic".

Costa Rican is o.k to say what country he is from just like Cuban, Puerto Rican ut we are all "hispanic".

• 1 decade ago

Here's a hint, what language do they speak in Costa Rica? Is it Spanish? Then they are Hispanic. Your friend is trying to put on airs.

• 1 decade ago

"Hispanic" is a term used for people from any Latin American country (basically, starting with Mexico heading south), so yes, Costa Ricans are Hispanic.

• 5 years ago

Normal as a word has meaning in a social group. There are many natural laws that the members of a group have to deal with. There are a number of man made laws too. Now, those behaviour which can deal effectively with all these laws have advantage over those behaviour that break these rules. Those behaviours that break these natural and man made rules come in conflict with nature and society. These behaviour are not considered normal. Sometimes, it happens that a group of people can bend the laws of nature with the help of technology. Then, what is normal for that group changes. Like your working at night. A lot of technology is needed to make that possible. The problem is that once the bubble in which the new normal things have occured bursts, those normal things have to be given up. Like your not eating on time may make your body go against natural laws so many times that it finally breaks down. So, if there are a lot of choices that we have, then we must chose those rules that are the most basic and fundamental. and follow those behaviour that sustainable.

• Yvette
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Yeah it is. Is just that some Spanish-speakers hate being called Hispanics. So maybe you should say Spanish-speakers or maybe Latinos will work.

Source(s): Spanish- Speaker.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

YES, you are correct. He is undoubtedly proud of his nationality, and does not like being lumped together with everyone else.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.