Dvd Burner Questions?

I am looking into buying a dvd burner for my old comp and i want to know a couple of things about them.

First what do the 18X AND 20X speeds actually mean?

Is there abig difference between the 2?

Second the dvd burner im looking at needs a minimum of Pentium 4 1.3GHz or higher CPU and 128MB or higher RAM.

But my old comp is only an intel celeron 1.2GHz with 240RAM

would the burner be able to work on it?

Cheers.

Favorite Answer

Hope this helps you out some. The 18x 20x any number x is the amount of rotations the disc will make when being burned. of course the faster it rotates that fast it burns. May not seem like much but within 1 minute the 20x drive will already be over 100 rotations faster the the 18x drive. As far as the requirements, first what I would do is see if there is another drive they may not require a 1.3...But i wouldn't worry too much.I play around with a lot of stuff on a comp and I've never had anything be incompatible because the processor was just a step behind.

Source(s): experience http://www.scribd.com/doc/596/How-DVD-and-CD-Drive... of a drive on page 2/3 and 3/3 very bottom and top

You have the RAM requirements covered. I would be really surprised if 1.2 rather than 1.3 GHz would make a difference, and being a celeron should not be an issue. I would buy it from a store that has a no-restocking fee policy and 2-week return. If it works, you are happy, if it doesn't work, you return it having only lost some time.

I have a MS game that "requires" a 2 gig processor, and complained about my slower dual core AMD cpu, but it runs just fine, and I configured the game to stop complaining. .