I'm starting a new job in two weeks time - I'm scared?

I had a bad experience with my current job (very difficult boss, boring job and a gossip who made life difficult for me).

I'm scared that my new boss will be a bully also -what if i can't cope (the new job will be more stimulating but high pressure). Jobs are scarce these days - I can't just leave when i don't like my new job -or am I overreacting?

Favorite Answer

I'm sorry that you're feeling so anxious right now. It's understandable to be scared because we've all heard stories of bully bosses. Fortunately, you can do your part to have a peaceful relationship. When you see your boss at work, have small talk with her. Ask how she's doing. She'll probably be too busy for you to have in depth conversations, but a little acknowledgement helps. Also, ask her questions if you have any. More than likely, she'll view that as a sign of conscientiousness. When she's around, make sure you're occupying yourself with something productive. If you do this, you can help create positive interactions. You probably won't see her that often, unless you're given an assignment, so don't worry too much.

Other than that, try to go into the job with a positive attitude towards the position and yourself. Tell yourself that you can cope with new responsibilities. Even if it sounds fake, you will start to believe it once you've started working. Think about the benefits the job will offer you, whether it's a good salary or work experience. If you go in with a fearful, negative attitude, you will draw unpleasant elements towards yourself. For now, congratulate yourself for winning the employer's confidence; you must have if you've been hired.

Finally, don't view the job with desperation. If you tell yourself that this is your only option, you will feel trapped. Another job may be difficult to find, but it's not impossible. Before you worry about going someplace else, give this job a chance. Though high pressure environments are intimidating, you can mitigate it by paying close attention when you learn something new. Carry a notebook and write down new rules and procedures as you learn them. This will help. Don't be afraid to ask your boss and coworkers for assistance. You are a newbie, so they'll expect it. Good luck! You can e-mail me if you need any more reassurance or just want to vent.

I am sorry you have had such a bad time in your working life, but very likely, this job will be a fresh start for you. You have probably learnt some great, hard lessons about dealing with bullies and gossips, and can appear more confident and assertive (which usually nips these people's plots in the bud). Focus on your work and behave professionally and you will succeed......

Just be yourself, be friendly. Don't be afraid to ask questions if theres something you don't understand. Do your job and don't get involved in situations that don't concern you, or hang around people that are trouble makers always gossiping or talking about other people.

HAVE NO FEAR AND WORK SMART----YOU ARE A VERY CAPABLE . ENJOY YOUR NEW JOB !