what do novelists/writers major in college?

is it just journalism , or are there other majors that pertain to becoming a writer ?

Favorite Answer

English literature would be another common major for writers. However, many writers majored in areas totally different from writing, and got into writing initially as a hobby or part-time venture, rather than as a chosen career. Really, any major can pertain to becoming a writer. Being a successful writer requires all kinds of experience, talent, and skill, and is not simply the result of a college major.

I'm a writer. Initially, I went to trade school for 2 years and worked in electronics. I hated it. Then I went into Journalism but--believe me--if you're a creative writer, you're not going to like Journalism unless you really like throwing questions out at a town hall meeting or running around trying to get interviews or extreme deadlines.

Now, I majored in English and I'm happy as can be. Just know that an English Major can do just about anything because 1. you're going to learn how to think analytically, learn how to write anything, and, hopefully, learn the art of rhetoric. Because, truly, rhetoric and political science go together like buttah and bread, baby.

Also, if you're not sure, just minor in something else that interests you.

True, Michael Crichton, John Grisham--they were not English Majors, however, out of 100 per cent, they probably represent about .02 of successful writers out there.

That's like saying, "the kid who starred in terminator 2 was picked off the street."

What about the other actors in Hollywood? Did they have to work hard for the craft? Sure.

Just do what is in your heart. Follow your dreams. The rest of it will fall into place along the way, but if you stay true to yourself you'll at least have that. And, if at the end of 4 years you hate your degree, go to grad school and master in something else. For ten years I lived in misery because I was either learning or doing something I hated.

Good luck!

• barb j

Stephen King majored in English, Clive Cussler majored in English, J.K. Rowling majored in French and the Classics....

Generally English, but Michel Circhton went to school to be a Medical Doctor and that helped him out with themes like crazy!

English or any other subject. Michael Crichton went to medical school.

you have the suited significant for a Wal-mart greeter why do no longer you upload on a psychology significant. that would instruct you a thank you to much extra you may think of up much extra the thank you to make wal-mart extra alluring to clientele by utilising what you comprehend with reference to the human recommendations! solid success on turning out to be a greeter i'm useful you may pull it off!