what do you do if your 17 with a high school diploma and don't know what you want to do?

i have no job, no money for college [parents wont help at all] i want to move to texas later on. i dont really know a job that i would like. i was thinking something like real estate or plumbing because i heard the money was good, but im not sure if thats what i should do.

id love to join the military.. i cant w.o surgery plus id be leaving my girlfriend .. sucks

Favorite Answer

Im the same way as you, I graduated as a junior from high school. Look, what i did was that i got a job at mcdonalds, i rented an appartment with a roommate, and i reported my own income tax, and that made financial aid pay for my classes. I live in texas. Maybe you should move over here

• MJ3000

First thing, get a job (or a couple of jobs) in fields that might interest you. They'll be entry level since you're just starting out, but it's the best way for you to get a feel for what your life could be like in those fields. You'll earn money and experience.

If you decide to go to college, you'll hopefully have saved some money along the way. You can also apply for grants and federal financial aid. Many companies offer tuition reimbursement programs or grants as long as you keep a certain gpa. Some industries, sports, or even cities offer scholarships for people involved in them. You can find a lot of these on-line or in books at the library.

I had a$1000 per semester scholarship from a company in my hometown. Aside from the application, essay, and interview, the only thing was that I had to have graduated from a high school in the town where the company was active.

To comment on your two ideas of plumbing or real estate, I'd choose real estate. It takes a while to really make money in either field, but the older you get, the more difficult plumbing is due to physical demands...unless you own your own business and hire others to do the dirty work. On the other hand, real-estate agents have to work a lot on weekends and after regular business hours since that's when customers are available.

Good luck.

If you're not totally against it, the army might be a good way to go. They don't actually pay for college, but they would provide you training in a certain field or give you an idea of what you want to do. Of course, you run the risk of getting blown up, but everybody dies eventually, right?

real estate is bottoming out right now and too harsh for an amateur.

Plumbing is ALWAYS stable with new clients needing help.

By the way, Texas ROCKS!

No state taxes and plenty of wide open spaces with intermittent HUGE CITIES!

I too graduated at a young age. As hard as it is to picture yourself as "older', you really need to be able to find a career in which you are able to support yourself. Military? Nursing? Have you thought about school loans. In the end they are worth it...

well....if you're completely unsupported right now, you may have to start thinking about taking some jobs you don't like...so at least you're becoming financially prepared to move at to tx while you're still searching for your passions. what about tx is so appealing? does anything about that location relate in some ways to possible job ideas/opportunities?