Can I reinstall Windows XP with the product key on my COA but with a different XP CD and still be validated?

My Windows XP is pre-installed so I don't have a XP CD. But if it's possible, would it still be validated by Microsoft as a Genuine Microsoft Software?

Another factor is that... the restore CD that came with it is missing so I couldn't resort to that. T_T I am using an Acer Aspire 5560 by the way.

Favorite Answer

Sure your can. If you bought a computer with preinstalled windows, the xp cd is called the restore disk. But you can use any disk (of the samer version) as long as you use your original product key.

I don't think it will work on an HP. It may work on a Dell.

I attempted this on HPs a couple times (as a last resort) and when I entered the cd key (which was printed on the case of the PC) it was not accepted and the installation would not proceed.

I tried it on a few Dells and it did work (again as a last resort), while on others it did not.

It depends on if the cd key is embedded into the motherboard and on which version of XP you have the cd for.

If you have a Dell and know someone that does have a Dell restore disk that should work to install XP, but you would need to go to the Dell support webpage for that model and download the device drivers and then install them.

HP charges about $30 plus shipping for restore cds.

Most preinstalled machines either provide the cds or a restore partition built into the hard drive - have you checked into that?

you may not reinstall without the product key. Dell desktops placed the product key on the case. Did you seek for he key (sticker) on the case? ultimately, the warm button is stored in the living house windows Registry. you may study the registry with the regedit command. in spite of the fact that if the warm button is encrypted. you will might desire to locate a gadget (seek the internet) to study the foremost.

• Yes, not a problem as long its the same version.