Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

Is truth absolute? Does it really exist? Or is it just a blasphemy?

Favorite Answer

No absolute truth, only the relative stuff.

• skip

Remember the little dot?

That you exist is absolute.

That something else exists--"The Other" Also True

Beyond that the debate begins.

How do you go from Ich-Es to Ich-Du? This depends on the the truth discovering you as much as you discovering truth. The certainty with which I believe that other people are of fundamentally the same character as myself (I consider my existence an absolute truth) is so strong that I also consider it an absolute truth that others are just like me in this fundamental way.

See the third link for additional exposition.

Truth is absolute. 'Reality' as it is often used is not. To define truth using reality is some what blasphemy, in that it is like defining infinity with roman numerals.You could never get close.

Rene` Descartes came up with something kinda solid--ergo cognito sum. It means I think, therefore I am. However, past that, I don't believe there is any real way to judge what exists, and thus no way to judge what is truth. I am a relativist myself--I think if you believe it, it is truth to you. However, just because something is true doesn't mean it can't change. Truth is fluid.

I believe it exists because without truth, how could we live? Wouldn't we all be living a lie? Therefore, there's got to be some truth in that we are living.

Truth gains more even by the errors of one who, with due study and preparation, thinks for himself, than by the true opinions of those who only hold them because they do not suffer themselves to think. ---John Stuart Mill, "On Liberty", 1859

Truth exists. Only lies are invented. ---Georges Braque, "Pensées sur l'art"

yes. it is gods words.